Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Grbl Panel Control

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Headlodius

Builder

Thanks I'll will follow those steps to save time.

2. Duaneohall

Builder

The settings should auto-save as you exit GRBL panel. This has always worked for me. I've not always been able to get the double-click to work for individual settings, but I can always type in the manual command and have never had it fail to work properly.
    Duane

3. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

I am working on a replacement for the double click, it might be a while yet as not trivial. Enter key is one of the magic ones :-(

4. Duaneohall

Builder

Gerrit, I don't know if you would even be interested, but I'm a software developer (embedded software mainly), and would be happy to beta (or alpha even) test things for you if that would be helpful.

5. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

I will keep you in mind. Testing is not my strong point :) The challenge in using Enter key in a cell is related to capturing only that event in that circumstance. They didn't make that one easy at all :-(

6. Duaneohall

Builder

what IDE do you use?

#96 Duaneohall, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  7. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

Visual Studio 2015 CE. I use this for everything I do in Vb.net and C#. For Arduino, ARM I use VS 2015 with Platformio. That is a bit fiddly to get the Intellisense to behave properly but once you get it sorted out for a platform, e.g. Arduino, then it is pretty good.

#97 GerritV, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  8. Headlodius

Builder

Double click worked to save the GRBL settings, thanks for the help!

9. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

And at long long last I am now testing using Enter as well :)

10. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

Release Release V1.0.9.6 Fixes and Enhancements · gerritv/Grbl-Panel · GitHub
    At long last, you can use Enter to change values for Grbl Settings as well as Offsets.

V1.0.9.6 - 2016 Aug 27
    - Change spacebar to control Hold/Resume Issue #62
    - Enable use of Enter for Grbl Settings and Offsets
    - Fix defect when error: returned from Grbl, and Grbl not in GUI mode, Issue #63
    - Fix error when filling Grbl Settings table, Issue #63

Mark Carew and David the swarfer like this.
  11. blindflight

blindflight Well-Known
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Message_1473444708519.jpg Having prob with seeing my settings (see pics)

12. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It is too small to read for my eyes. Also it appears to be Universal Gcode Sender not GRBL Panel.

13. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

click the 'commands' tab
    type $$
    press enter
    all the grbl settings will be spewed forth onto the screen.

to change a setting, just type it like this in the command edit box
    $100=26.666666 <press ENTER>
    that would set X steps/mm to 26.666666

DO NOT change settings unless you actually know what they do!
    Configuring Grbl v0.9 · grbl/grbl Wiki · GitHub

Mark Carew likes this.
  14. blindflight

blindflight Well-Known
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Thanks David will try...

15. dean knipping

Builder

GerritV, quick question on Macros for you. I don't have the electronics hooked up right now so I can't test this but how do the macros work? Can you set and use variables like you can in a fanuc macro? I have figured out the procedure for the Z probing as well as finding the X/Y zero point on a part but need to use a few variables to store position data and then use that data to set the appropriate settings.

EDIT: well I answered one of my questions and that is no you can't use fanuc type macros here (have to love remote access and a kid to plug things in for ya)

#105 dean knipping, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  16. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

The macro thing is fairly simplistic at present. No variables, just plain G code commands. And anything that writes to eeprom is problematic unless it is the last command because I don't wait for an Ok before sending the next macro line. Some time this winter I will be changing some of this behavior but not too sure about implementing Gcode variables etc.

17. dean knipping

Builder

hhuummm...I wonder if you could work the variables into the grbl panel application itself and then feed it to the gcode.

18. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

Yes that is the idea. Not sure how far I would go with it, a full blown gcode macro implementation is not likely to be used by too many. I will look at doing 'just enough', should be useful for those who need leveling as well.

19. dean knipping

Builder

the Z axis is easy to do in a macro

G38.2 Z-100 Fxxx
    G92 Zxxx
    G0 Z1 Fxxx
    (where xxx is whatever value you want)

Finding the X and Y zero is where the variables are needed. the edge finders I have seen have a 1-2" circle over the part corner and you need to take the reading at 4 points on the circle, 2 for X and 2 for Y. take (X1+X2)/2 and that gives your Y0 and (Y1+Y2)/2 is your X0

what I think I will do for now is do the macro and put a M6 tool change in there so I can write down the coordinates and manually calculate it out

#109 dean knipping, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  20. shawn yetman

Builder

hi I am new to this and hope some one can help me I need help with zero the drill bit, hope some one can help with step by step instruction would be nice.

21. dean knipping

Builder

if you aren't using the probe function, the best way is to bring your bit down to your spoil board and use a shim or piece of paper to see when you touch that. As long as you know the thickness of what you are using, you can use that as an offset when you zero out the Z axis.

You can also do it off the top of your work piece but the issue I have with that is unless you know the exact thickness, you may not go all the way through the piece.

I had heard another way of doing it is to bring your bit close to the spoil board and then loosen the collet and let the bit drop that last little bit and tighten it back up. At that point the bit should be on the spoil board and at Z0

22. shawn yetman

Builder

I try that, but when I try to cut the bit was high and would not touch, which got me thinking that I zero on the board and not the spoiler board. well have to try when I get home.

23. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Yesterday I noticed that I no longer had GRPL Panel on my computer for some weird reason. I downloaded the newest version and every time I would try to install the app, Norton would delete it and give a warning. Even the older version I had previously installed without issue before would get deleted. I sent a ticket in to Norton and they have since cleared it. They advised that within 24 hours, this should not happen anymore. Just thought I would mention it here in case this has happened to others.

24. Duaneohall

Builder

I've been using the latest build, and saving by just pressing ENTER now works. Thanks, Gerrit - great improvement.
    Just click on the value you want to change, enter the new value, and press ENTER. So much easier!

GerritV likes this.
  25. Pur

Pur New
    Builder

I've make use of the pre-compiled GrblPanel.exe as found on
    C-Beam™ Machine - Plate Maker.
    I had to use this executable because I don't program in VB.net.

At first sight it looks fantastic , but because of the W10 auto display scaling the fonts and text in GrblPanel.exe is somewhat blurry.
    There is a workaround for it annd that works well.

On the executable GrblPanel.exe do a right mouseclick and choose Properties.
    In the properties window click on the compatibility tab and mark/vink " Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"
    Click apply and OK
    The bext time you start CrblPanel.exe the fonts and text will be sharp and thus good readable.

Hope someone can use this.
    Pur

David the swarfer and GerritV like this.
  26. Duaneohall

Builder

I have a question I hope someone can answer. I am trying to use the Openbuilds GRBL PCB to make a Plasma Cutter. I am having a bit of a time identifying which output should be used to activate the plasma. I've got all the interface done to drive the circuit - I just am not sure what output to use and how to select it (what G-code)
    Duane

27. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

I would use the Spindle Enable pin. M3 will turn it on and M5 will turn it off.

Yes you can use this even if GRBL is compiled in PWM spindle mode. Just make sure that your Gcode always sets the spindle speed before you use the spindle, and the speed must be the max. GRBL defaults to 1000RPM, so at the beginning of the every file you will need
    M3 S1000
    To ensure that it just sets the pin to 'on'.

Now, normal Gcode just turns the spindle on at the beginning and off at the end of the job, but for plasma cutting you want on/off for each cut, similar to a laser.
    SketchUcam in laser mode will do this for you (-: (but there are other Gcode generators that can do it, this is just what I know).

28. Duaneohall

Builder

Thanks, David - I'll give that a try. Once I've got it working I'll post back here.

29. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I updated to the most recent GRBL Panel version and when I look at the settings tab nothing shows up. I can not edit anything either. However, I can still send gcode and the machine cuts accurately. Weird. I am curious if I am the only one, or if this has happened to others and there is a simple solution. My fear is there is a simple fix (a box to check) and I should be aware of it, and this question is showing off my stupidity. :eek: I do not remember having to do anything with previous upgrades.

30. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

What version of Grbl are you using?