Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Grbl Panel Control

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Mark Carew, Aug 13, 2015.

1. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

That error generally means there is a problem with the USB connection to Grbl. Since you are on a new machine, perhaps a wonky USB port? Or loose cable?

2. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

I just added Release 1.0.7.0:

This release provides the following fixes and enhancements:

• Issue 25/38, Add Macro buttons. There can be 0-5 macro buttons. Each can have a Name and Gcode, including multiple lines. See the Macro tab in the GUI for details
    • Issue 39/40, strange characters in COM port name on Windows 10. This required moving to .Net 4.5.2
    • Added an icon for the program
    • Added a call to DoEvents while loading a gcode file. This should give the GUI responsiveness.

The move to 4.5.2 should mean that you no longer have to set Compatibility mode, can someone verify that for me? Thx

3. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

In 1.0.7.0 I added more details to the Fatal Error on Write message. It might help narrow down what is going on?

David the swarfer likes this.
  4. azarock

azarock New
    Builder

@GerritV I'll test it tomorrow on my Win 10 machine and let you know if anything odd shows up on the COM name.

5. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

Release V1.0.9.0 addresses amongst other things the load time of huge files. A 1M line file now loads in <5 seconds instead of >5 minutes.

Gerrit

David the swarfer likes this.
  6. Sailordog13

Builder

Hi,
    I'm commissioning a C Beam machine, with an Arduino Uno, and a Grbl shield (gShield v5b).
    I've flashed a hex file (grbl_v0_8c_atmega328p_16mhz_9600.hex) to the arduino, and started Grbl Panel. I can jog the motors, and change the increment/step size, but the position and settings window is totally blank.
    My PC is not connected to the internet, I believe that is why the get Grbl settings button does nothing for me?

I'm quite sure it is something simple on my side. I do not claim to clearly understand the electronic magic, yet.
    Any help or ideas to get me on the right track greatly appreciated!

Sd13

7. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

8c is very old, not sure I ever tried Grbl-Panel with that version.

GrblPanel does not use an internet connection.

Looking at the Grbl Settings page for .8 (Configuring Grbl v0.8 · grbl/grbl Wiki · GitHub) and comparing it to the one for .9 (Configuring Grbl v0.9 · grbl/grbl Wiki · GitHub) I am fairly confident that GrblPanel will not work with what you flashed.

You can enable Verbose and see what Grbl is sending back in response to the ? that is sent at intervals. $$ will retrieve the Settings, but you also need to set the Last Setting value on Settings page to 22. As you can see there is a noticeable change between the versions :)

Gerrit

Mark Carew and Sailordog13 like this.
  8. Governor

Governor New
    Builder

Hi I am very new to the cnc world and I've just finished my C-Beam plate maker build on steroids. I can get the machine to jog around but when I try to upload and run a file everything goes wrong. When I load an example file it seems to load ok but when I hit play to run it in free air it seem to be cutting in a very small area. I don't know if I need to set the work offsets or what. When I try to upload one of my files from Bob Cad using Predator it seems to upload fine, but when I try to run it all I get is a string of errors. Can someone please HELP!!! WIN_20160315_20_25_05_Pro.jpg

Mark Carew likes this.
  9. Teflon4

Teflon4 Well-Known
    Builder

You might be served better by a new thread, but the "small area" issue sounds like controller settings (mm per step). What controller are you using?
    If you're getting errors it'd be worth citing a couple for us.

Mark Carew likes this.
  10. Governor

Governor New
    Builder

Thanks Teflon4 I had to change my settings in mm per step to 800.000 and not 200.000.

Teflon4 likes this.
  11. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

How or where can I get the latest update for Grbl panel?

Thanks

Bruce

12. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

13. Governor

Governor New
    Builder

Hi Teflon4 sorry for the delay, I'm just getting a chance to get back on my build. I have the machine moving in the right directions and at the right distances now. However I still have problems with errors. As I send gcode to the cnc with universal gcode sender the cnc appears to be following the code but I get several errors; " error: Invalid gcode ID:24". I'm using Bob Cad and Predator to generate my toolpaths and gcode. I feel as if universal gcode sender is not configured to read the gcodes Predator generates. Do you have any suggestions?

14. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

I've been finding more time to get back to my C-Bean and figure out the software, in this case GRBL Panel. This might be obvious to everyone but I can not confirm my question.
    On the upper left of the grbl panel window the coordinates of the tool are shown. What measure do these number represent?

[​IMG]
    For example the Y axes is at -50. -50 what? Millimeters? Something else? In this case the state of the machine was set to metric units. However when I change my software state to inches these numbers don't change. Are they metric and I assume millimeters. And I guess they don't change with the machine state.

Of course I like working in standard and would prefer if I could change this to standard.

Thanks

Bruce

Attached Files:

15. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

Answered my own question today after getting my C-Bean Grbl Panel setting straight. The numbers are always in mm no matter.

I think this would be nice to be changeable to standard. I just don't think in metric.

16. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

Where is the best tutorial how to use Grbl Panel and what all the settings do?

For example Mark in his C-Beam settings has $3 set to 6. I had mine set to 0 and wired my machine to move correctly according to the other instructions Mark gave. When my C-Beam didn't act like it should I double checked at the Grbl settings to find among other things $3 set to 0. I changed it to 6 then had to rewire my machine to change directions to what they should be.

So the question is what other settings are there. How did Mark know or why was 6 chosen for this setting. What other settings are there I might want to use?

Thanks

Bruce

17. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

18. Bruce Fenstermacher

Builder

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I wasn't looking in the right place. I was looking at Grbl Panel documents. Of course it makes sense these settings would be grbl.

Bruce

19. Garrett Groll

Builder

I'm having the exact same problem. I've re-watched the part in Mark's instructional video where he talks about adjusting the GRBL panel settings I don't know how many times! Would someone please make an instructional video with a screen recording instead of a gopro video of a screen with the camera mounted on their head. You can't see the screen well enough with a gopro.

20. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

Hi Garrett
    When you have changed the value, double click the cell. The cursor will pop back to top left and refreshed data presented. You can only change one value at a time.
    I tried using Return but had other issues with that, might need to revisit.
    Worst case, you can issue the commands manually from the MDI panel.

21. Tink10

Tink10 New
    Builder

Hi All,
    New to this ... but my C-Beam arrived and after watching the video I was up and running in a short time.... But I am struggling....Having changed the settings as in the video I came to check them and they cannot be retrieved
    I am getting a System.IndexOutOfRangeException.
    I have gone and downloaded the new releases.... but have no idea how to....and where to put it..
    Any help please I am a complete novice
    Regards

Tink

22. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

What version of Grbl are you using?
    What version of GrblPanel are you using? Click About on menu bar.

What is the number in the Last Grbl Param and what is the last number in the ID Column on the Settings page just after you connect to Grbl?

I assume you are clicking on Get Grbl Settings on the Settings tab?

23. Tink10

Tink10 New
    Builder

Grbl version is 1.0.3.0
    number in Last Grbl Param is $132
    When I click on Get Grbl Settings I get a window with

Column 'ID' is constrained to be unique
    Value'$O' is already present

Sorry about being vague

I have cut my first shape out today.... fantastic ... so the machine is working !!!!!

24. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

mmnn, I am using 1.0xxx as well.
    I will do some testing as I have a release coming up this week.

Congrats on the successful cut, it's always a great feeling !

25. Garrett Groll

Builder

I can't get grbl to run on my microsoft surface 2. First image is a screen shot of the error message. Second image shows my system info. Does anybody have any idea as to why this is giving me troubles?
    Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (3).png

#55 Garrett Groll, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  26. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

GrblPanel is compiled for x86 32/64 bit processors, not ARM.

I target Any CPU which according to one article is supposed to allow running on RT but apparently there is something more. I don't have a Surface to try this on :-(

A bigger challenge is that RT and some version of even Windows 10 (IoT) severely limit access to serial ports even via USB.

#56 GerritV, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  27. Tink10

Tink10 New
    Builder

GerritV,
    Thank you for your help
    Tried again today cut out another image... so I will continue learning and do some great stuff

Tink

28. Garrett Groll

Builder

After reading your reply, I went online and bought a Microsoft Surface 3. The screenshots above (in my original post) are the specs for the Microsoft Surface 2. The screenshot below is for the Surface 3. It does not run on Windows RT, nor does it have an ARM processor so hopefully it'll work! I'll post back here and let everyone know whether it works or not.
    Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 2.42.07 PM.png

29. GerritV

GerritV New
    Builder

Wish I were still working (ok, not really but) so I could splurge like that. :)

Surface Pro is supposed to run programs built with 'Any Cpu' from what I have read.

30. Garrett Groll

Builder

The surface 3 just arrived. After downloading grbl panel 1.0.3.0 windows 10 said I needed to download .net framework 3.5 in order to make grbl work. After doing so (see pic), grbl pulled right up!

Screenshot (1).png