Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

GRBL feed rate issue

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by adam kimbrell, Aug 16, 2023.

1. adam kimbrell

Builder

I have a nema 23 stepper controlled by arduino uno and tb6600 driver. Using universal g-code platform. Max feedrate set at 5000 mm/min. Ran g code at f2000 with no issue. Bumped it up to 4000 or 5000 to see if it would go that fast and it stalled. Now I can’t run faster than 600mm/min. If I do try to run above 600mm/min it starts then stalls then moves slowly but not tothe correct distance or just completely locks up.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Check that your machine frame is still square, especially that the X gantry is still square to the Y axis. Your stall when you pushed it too hard may have caused some misalignment. Check anything else that may be out of alignment and causing binding. Your TB6600's should be OK if they are genuine, but there are many fakes of those stepper drivers on the market and it is possible that you have damaged them (not likely but possible).
    If you don't find a mechanical issue come back to us and we can look at other possibilities.

Alex.

3. adam kimbrell

Builder

Thanks for the response. No mechanical issue. It is only a single axis. I have four drivers so I had already tried multiple drivers to rule out damaged driver. 600 mm/min works fine but 610 mm/min stalls even though max rate is set to 5000 mm/min.

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Have you checked that the grub screws in the motor coupler are still tight, and one is on the flat of the motor shaft?
    Unlikely to be the stepper motor itself - when damaged (not very common anyway) they tend to stop working at all.
    Should have checked earlier instead of making assumptions, is your machine leadscrew or belt driven? If leadscrew, is the problem of stalling alleviated by lubrication (DRY ptfe or silicone spray) or by loosening the nut blocks slightly.
    If you (power OFF) disconnect the motor from the stepper driver (turning stepper motors by hand turns them into generators - the back emf they produce can be quite high voltage and damage the stepper driver) can you turn the leadscrew by hand for the full travel without any binding?

Ignore the bits about leadscrews if you have belts.

Alex.

5. adam kimbrell

Builder

Thanks again for the quick response and suggestions. I really think everything is mechanically sound but tonight when I get home I’m going to disconnect the motor from the lead screw to completely remove the mechanical variable.
    Thank you

6. Misterg

Misterg Veteran
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You didn't change the acceleration settings at the same time, did you?

7. adam kimbrell

Builder

Update: problem solved
    I did change the acceleration settings.
    I reset the GRBL firmware settings via the universal g-code platform by typing $rst=$ in the command line and pressing enter. I then set my x axis travel resolution to the correct setting for my lead screw and driver microstepping setting, set my x axis maximum rate to 5000 and the x axis acceleration to 500.
    Everything is working as expected now but I need to do a deeper dive to understand the $0-$27 firmware settings better.
    Thanks again for the input.