Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Grbl Error code 9?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by yyzworkbee, May 23, 2020.

1. yyzworkbee

Builder

I'm trying to do a simple spoil-board levelling job on my Workbee 1010/Blackbox controller and have had my machine stop mid-job three times in a row now with the following Grbl error message: "error: 9 - G-code locked out during alarm or jog state (G01 X780.9500)

What's extra puzzling/frustrating is that after the second failed attempt, I downloaded the most recent drivers, changed USB cables to a brand new one, and ran an "air job" with the router off to see if it would complete the tool path, which it did. However, after trying to do the actual cut with the router on, it stopped mid-job once again with the same error code. The first two times it seemed to stop in the exact same place. Third time was in a slightly different spot. I'm able to jog just fine before and after the error code. I've been using my CNC for over a month now and have never encountered this issue before. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Where have you put your router mains cable? It sounds very much as though you are getting electrical interference (EMI) falsely triggering your limit switches. You need to keep any mains cables well away from any low voltage stuff.
    Alex.

3. yyzworkbee

Builder

If that’s all it is I’ll be relieved. I’ve currently got my router plugged in to the same extension cord as my power supply/black box. I’ll try plugging it in to a separate outlet and disabling limit switches entirely to see if that does it.

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Main thing is where the cable runs - if it is alongside low voltage stuff you effectively have a capacitor between the mains and low voltage cables. I suspend my router cable above the machine and keep the mains cable to my power supply away from any low voltage stuff. USB cables can be particularly susceptible. Interference because everything is plugged into the same circuit is not common.
    Alex.

Giarc likes this.
  5. yyzworkbee

Builder

Just finished the job with the router plugged in to a different outlet and the limit switches unplugged entirely. Thank you, Alex, for the spot-on advice/restoring my sanity! This is very good to know - I currently have my router cable bundled together with various other cables inside the X axis drag-chain, as per the openbuilds assembly video. I will do as you say and suspend it separately from now on.

6. Troy McConaughey

Builder

Just fought this error. Homing worked but the program would alarm out. Discovered you can't home your Z at end of program with the Z limit switched triggered or next run will alarm.

I'm running Fusion 360 and hate the default end of the program going to the home position, so I deleted XYZ after G53. The postprocessor for Openbuilds allows for Z0 setting - don't do it.

G53 needs to be Z-0.393 or more for the router to come off the limit switch.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

8. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you hover your mouse over the various settings you get help text that pops up.
    That help text tells you to always use a negative number.
    The latest version of the post also inserts a comment in the Gcode that gives a URL for help on the how and why of G53 codes.