Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Good 3D Printer Controller? [First Time Builder]

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by ajg, Oct 7, 2019.

1. ajg

ajg New
    Builder

Hi there,

I am working on my very first 3D printer build! I'm pretty excited, but also lack a lot of knowledge in the area. My build is going to be a small cantilever printer that uses three NEMA 17 motors to power two belt driven linear actuators (X, Y) and one lead screw driven linear actuator (Z).

I think I have the hardware down (though if anyone has advice for first time builders, I am all ears!) though I am feeling a bit lost when it comes to the electronics; namely, the controller. I have been looking at getting the Mini-Rambo, but there are so many options out there. It seems very easy to make a mistake. Would the Mini-Rambo be a suitable controller for my purposes?

For a bit of additional information: I plan on buying the 12V/29A power supply from the Open Builds store and using an Arduino/RPi to interface with the controller.

Thank you for your help!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No advice from my side on a controller, but, do want to advise on your choice of voltage. 24v 3D printers run better: faster acceleration, cooler drivers, faster bed and hotend heat up times, better PID responses... 12v 3D printing is soooo 2005 (; as are RAMPS (only supported 12v) hehe

ajg likes this.