Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Glass scriber / cutter

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by ripalda, Feb 8, 2021.

1. ripalda

ripalda New
    Builder

I need to build an automated glass scribing machine. The cutting head is a diamond wheel that is spring loaded to exert a constant force of 5 kg on the glass, and needs to slide at 1m/s, very fast. The speed affects the quality of the cut. Friction and lateral forces are tiny. Because the tool is spring loaded, vertical deflections of the CNC machine are well tolerated. I think some very light weight build like the ACRO 1515 would be well suited. I only need to cut in straight lines, and would use the single motor axis for the scribing motion. I suspect the dual motor axis is less suited for very high accelerations/speeds due to the much higher mass. For higher speeds I am thinking of modifying the standard build by using a NEMA 23 motor and a 30 tooth timing pulley on the single motor axis. Does this sound good to you? Any advice? I have searched the forum and found a few good ideas but nothing quite like what I think I need.

2. ripalda

ripalda New
    Builder

I am buying from Spain, so I might get the 72 tooth pulley offered in makersupplies.dk to speed the belt even more.

3. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Short-body NEMA 34 (no more than 4.5Nm) running 15mm wide, 5mm pitch HTD/GT2 belt on a direct drive 40T pulley is the way I'd probably try first.

ripalda likes this.