Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

I got ripped off on AliExpress

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Fabian68, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Fabian68

Fabian68 New
    Builder

Hi
    After building my 'Mini Mill' I wanted to try and cut some metal with it and decided to get a copy of 'Artcam' from Aliexpress. After about 7 weeks of waiting, I got a small envelope with a shilling (I think that's what it was). So technically I've been screwed (Ripped Off).

So just in case, anyone else is thinking of trying to get a copy of this software for £28

DO NOT GO TO ALIEXPRESS for it or you're most likely end up with just a silver coin in a small envelope instead of the software.

A lesson learned.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  2. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

If you raise a complaint with Aliexpress you will likely get all your money back.

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Artcam was an Autodesk product that Autodesk discontinued a couple years ago. My guess if you would have got a copy --especially at that price -- it would have been a pirated version and there would be no support for it. Artcam is expensive and there are no more licenses available though Autodesk. It is a violation of the purchase agreement for someone to sell a license they own without going through Autodesk. Carveco (Carveco.com) now owns the rights and sells a version of it. There is no way that they would sell through a store on Aliexpress. Here is a list of their accredited partners they sell through and it is a $250 monthly subscription.

Or were you just referring to models created with Artcam?

4. Fabian68

Fabian68 New
    Builder

I was just referring to the models.

I think Autodesk is quietly kicking themselves for not having ability to look to the future with this software as Carveco has done. I've looked around the Carveco site and its very impressive, but $250 a month is a bit over the top although they do offer a copy of a copy of their software for a 'Snip' at £5,995 including 12 months support. (Excuse me while I have a delve down the back of my sofa).

This is all very nice but at the end of the day, some bugger in china is walking around with my £28 in his back pocket.

I've been to Aliexpress and complained about this rip-off and am waiting to hear back from them. (Thanks Christian I'd already done that mate).

There must be other software out there that does something similar to 'Artcam' that doesn't try to make paupers of Mini Mill owners before they've started cutting something.

BTW thanks for the replies guys.

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I tried purchasing a rotary axis from AliExpress last February. The vendor took my payment then sent me an email saying they needed more because the price went up. I demanded my money back and they did not respond. I took screen shots of my interactions with them and filed a dispute with AliExpress. I had my money back in a couple of days. If I were you, I would file a dispute and take a picture of the item you received.

6. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Indeed, I used the word complaint but dispute is correct.

7. Fabian68

Fabian68 New
    Builder

That's strange Giarc

That's exactly what I did. I lined up the envelope and the one-cent piece and took a photo to prove what I'd been sent. The envelope has the guy's business address on it but as I don't read Mandarine I took it along to my local Uni and got a Chinees guy to translate it for me. It got a bit embarrassing as the guy kept apologizing over and over as if he was a Chinees trade ambassador.

I had to buy him two cups of coffee to get him to calm down.

Anyway, I sent the photos off as an attachment and await the outcome.

I wouldn't worry Christian, one goes with the other meaning the same thing.