Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

G code software for Mach3 controller

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Russ Gee, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Russ Gee

Russ Gee New
    Builder

I'm looking to build a 1500mm X 1500mm 3 axes WorkBee router table. The kit I'm looking for is setup with Mach3 controller. What would be an affordable g code software program for this table?

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hi Russ for a nice free option please have a look at the OpenBuilds CAM software
    If your looking to do a lot of 3D and V carving check out V Carve Desktop or Aspire
    Hope this helps to get you up and running. Please be sure to share you Projects with us , we would love to see what you are making on your machine.

Russ Gee likes this.
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Just be careful of this... 1500x1500 is not a standard workbee size, some scrupilous sellers sell these without telling buyers how flimsy that will be

What year is this :) Mach3 is old and superceded by Mach 4 in 2015/16 already. This raises warning bells to me, what kind of seller is giving you electronics sooo old. Its probably a cracked or trial copyof Mach3 anyway so prepare to fork out the cost of a licence too!

Consider an official bundle from Machine Bundles - OpenBuilds Part Store - what you might see now as cheaper will in the long run cost you in tears and replacement parts a lot more. Hit the search box up to for "1500x1500" and "knockoff" - plenty of users fell in the pit in front of you before you, learn from their lessons (having to shorten the X axis to 1000, replacing electronics with a BlackBox, replacing the weak motors, replacing the cheap belts that keep stretching, etc)

Russ Gee likes this.
  4. Russ Gee

Russ Gee New
    Builder

Thanks. This helps a lot.
    Russ

5. Russ Gee

Russ Gee New
    Builder

The kit is from SPAM. I have the option to order it with screw drive and Nema 23 2.4N.m high torque stepper motors, which is the way I'm planning to go. The two control options are, MACH3 Controller Bundle or GRBL Controller Bundle. The mach3 is the one I thought sounded to be the better choice. They mention that I will need to buy a mach3 license, but didn't anything about G-code software.
    Is SPAM a good company? I want to do this right, but stay in my budget.
    Thanks for your reply. I look forward to your feed back on this added information.
    Russ

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Google around - pure evil - dont trust me of course I am not partial, but hit the search box above with the company name, and google around, then make up your mind

sigh, yeah 1500mm leadscrews (; great idea - leadscrew whip is just a made up construct (;

But do they come with decent drivers, or crappy TB6600s (Another phrase to check the search for by the way)