Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

G 54 OFFSETS

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Bug Report' started by Jeremy D, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Jeremy D

Jeremy D New
    Builder

I DONT WANT TO USE G 54 OFFSETS BUT I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW DO DISABLE THEM OR CHANGE THEM TO 0,0 PLEASE HELP

2. Jeremy D

Jeremy D New
    Builder

HOW DO I GET RID OF THE WORK OFF SETS G54 AS I WANT MY WORK PIECE TO START WHERE IS SET ZEROS?

3. that-jim

that-jim Journeyman
    Builder

here is a video that helped me understand this subject maybe it will help you.

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

you cannot turn off or 'get rid of' offsets, the machine MUST have them and one of the 6 offsets is always in effect.
    The default is G54, the first offset. All Gcode programs must have at least a G54 at the beginning to ensure that the expected offset is selected.

If we did not have work offsets we would have to create every CAD drawing with its origin exactly where the machine home is.
    This is very hard and inaccurate, and this is why offsets were invented about a day after the first CNC machine was created (-:

Homing the machine sets the Machine Coordinate System, all other coordinates are relative to the MCS.

now you mount the workpiece, jog to where the PART ZERO is (part zero is set in the CAM software), and click the setZero buttons as needed.
    Alternately one can probe the part zero.

Now the Gcode is run, and all the code operates relative to the part zero.
    This means that the part can be moved around on the machine (like to a different vice, or even a different machine) and the Gcode will still cut the correct size and shape.

PS: all capitals is the internet equivalent of shouting, please don't do that.

5. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You quoted my old post that said
    This is no longer true since CONTROL was updated to display the current settting and allow the user to select the WCS and the setZero buttons do set the currently selected offset.

The button for selecting, and it also displays the current WCS as the button label, is at top left, just above the setZero buttons and left of the 'mm/inch' tabs
    upload_2023-1-14_8-19-54.png

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.