Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Fusion360 Post Process to OB Control

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by NickEng, Jan 20, 2023.

1. NickEng

NickEng Well-Known
    Builder

Hello all. I have a question about post processing from fusion to OB CONTROL that will hopefully lead somebody to explain to me how to correctly do what I am trying.

I am going to try to ask the question quickly here, below is more detail about what I am trying to do.

There is a checkbox within the fusion postprocess settings that you can uncheck that says "generate multiple files for tool change" I want to uncheck it and create one gcode file that I can run on my machine even though I do not have an automatic tool changer. I am going to use the same exact bit even though fusion sees that I am using two different diameter bits. I only want one file because I am only using one bit and not actually changing the tool. However, If I do this and try to run the single file, I get an error within CONTROL that "G-code words consist of a letter and a value, letter was not found". Is there a way to get this to work as I want?

Here is the long version of my problem:

I always have fusion designs that I want to manufacture and cut on my cnc router. I am fairly familiar with the tools and features within fusion360, but I can't seem to find the right tool to do what I want. I am going to attach an example file, but this is what I am trying to do:

The model is to be milled down (in wood) leaving the letters raised up. So I want the tool path to remove all the material in a pocket without removing the letters that will be raised. I obviously want to get as close as possible to the letters for aesthetics without milling over them. I also want to do this with as big a bit that is possible (1/8 flat end mill in this case). For my design, the bit will not fit in several areas inside the letters so it leaves it for me to clean up with a smaller bit or I assume find another operation that will allow the bit remove the material.

In an effort to "trick" the program, I am using two separate operations (2 adaptive clearing or 2 flat operations). One of them, I am changing the bit size to a smaller diameter to force the tool path inside the letters. However, I am using the same exact bit with both operations. When I post and run the job inside of CONTROL, I have to run it as two separate jobs (files) because fusion detects the bit change and my machine is not setup for automatic tool change. Now to my question, there is a checkbox within the fusion postprocess settings that you can uncheck that says "generate multiple files for tool change" This is exactly what I don't want. I only want one file because I am only using one bit and not actually changing the tool. However, If I do this and try to run the single file, I get an error within CONTROL that "G-code words consist of a letter and a value, letter was not found". Is there a way to get this to work as I want?

I am also open to any suggestions to how to manufacture my file in fusion to get what I want without "tricking it".

Thanks!

Attached Files:

#1 NickEng, Jan 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

after you generate the gcode open the file in notepad
    search for the M6 command remove it
    like T1 M6 will select tool 1
    T4 M6 will select tool 4
    remove those kinds of lines.

while this will work you probably wont be happy with the results since your too large tool will probably cut away too much leaving an unpleasant result on the letters.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. NickEng

NickEng Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks! I knew you would have the answer! I have done it in two operations, and it obviously does take out more of the letters than fusion shows, but the results are pretty good. I know this isn't the best way to do it, but I can't figure out the best way. Thanks!

4. NickEng

NickEng Well-Known
    Builder

I don't see a M6 command anywhere in the code.
    I see a T4, but it is only at the beginning in the comment section.

Thanks!

5. NickEng

NickEng Well-Known
    Builder

I just deleted this comment at the top of the G-code:

"((Warning: Multiple tools found. This post does not support tool)
    (changes. You should repost and select True for Multiple Files)
    (in the post properties.))"

And the job will run now. I have not ran it to see if there are any issues, but it did run. Before it wouldn't. I thought those were just comments and wouldn't effect the code executing in OB CONTROL.

Thanks!!

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

The double brackets tells me you are running an outdated version of the Post. Please update :) docs:software:fusion360 [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    The long comments bug was fixed in V1.0.32 OpenBuilds-Fusion360-Postprocessor/OpenbuildsFusion360PostGrbl.cps at 54354a5b36c6d8e72dbdf01cd17f8b006a9c4823 · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-Fusion360-Postprocessor

David the swarfer likes this.
  7. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

the best way is to use 2 tools, a big one for roughing quickly, and a small one for the details (-:

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.