Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Fusion post processor YZ and XZ arcs

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Jeffrey A Melius, May 30, 2023.

1. Jeffrey A Melius

Builder

I noticed I was getting severe linear interpolation errors as I was machining knife bevels using a parallel path up and down the slopes.. This seems to be due to my using the smoothing option within fusion which introduces arcs but XZ and YZ arcs are disabled in the openbuilds post processor. Since arcs are disabled in the openbuilds post processor it replaces the arcs with insufficient linear sections to meet my accuracy requirements. Using the standard fusion grbl post processor fixed this for me since it implements arcs in these planes.
    Jeff

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

it is not hard to allow XZ and YZ arcs in the post, but the big question is how big are the arcs.
    They were turned off because Fusion likes to generate very small arcs in those planes since it usually does them as lead-in and lead-out moves and the defaults are 0.1 x the bit diameter, so for small bits
    the arcs are too small to be accurate enough and GRBL reports significant radius errors (radius to start and end of arc differ by too much - the numbers from Fusion are 'wrong', not a bug in the post).

so, open the .cps file in Notepad and edit the line
    Code:
    allowedCircularPlanes = (1 << PLANE_XY);// | (1 << PLANE_ZX) | (1 << PLANE_YZ); // only XY, ZX, and YZ planes

to be
    Code:
    allowedCircularPlanes = (1 << PLANE_XY)  | (1 << PLANE_ZX) | (1 << PLANE_YZ);

this will allow arcs in those planes BUT note that if 'linearizesmallarcs' is true, arcs with radius < bitradius will still be linearized.
    You DO want this becasue those small arcs will have radius errors (because of the data coming from Fusion, not a post bug, I have spent hours/days trying to solve this!)
    OR
    you will have to run EVERY file through the controller in check mode ($C in serial console) before the cut if you want to avoid stoppages due to radius errors.
    If check mode shows a radius error just convert the relevant line to a linear move and try again.

Another thing you can try is changing the 'tolerance' value from 0.01mm to 0.001mm but then you must turn smoothing off else it will have no effect on the moves generated.
    Try this on a small job since such a low tolerance way make the code have such small moves it will take longer to run since the machine can never get up to the given feedrate.

and of course you can reduce the smoothing tolerance so the segments it generates are shorter.
    note that a tolerance (linearization or smoothing) that is less than the minimum step distance of the machine is pointless. (usually 0.01mm for leadscrew machines)

if you send me your fusion file I will have a fiddle to see if these a arcs can be solved

3. Jeffrey A Melius

Builder

I had tried simply turning on the arcs which did lead to grbl errors. My arcs of interest are actually quite large 8" diameter but there were probably other small arcs. I noticed the the fusion post processor gets around this by just correcting the small inconsistencies in the arcs that would cause GRBL errors. Maybe this approach would be best.
    Jeff

For what it's worth, my hybrid stepper motors have crazy step resolution of 0.0012mm (4096 encoder counts per rev and 5mm ball screws). For the most part I am happy if I can get a real 0.01mm

#3 Jeffrey A Melius, May 31, 2023
    Last edited: May 31, 2023
    David the swarfer likes this.
  4. David the swarfer

I think I have a solution up my sleeve, will work on it over the weekend.

5. David the swarfer

wow.

so, go and grab the master.zip from GitHub - OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-Fusion360-Postprocessor: Post Processor for Fusion 360 for use with OpenBuilds Machines running Grbl 1.1 ...
    green 'code' button, then 'download zip' (NOT the release!)
    This is a beta of my latest solution to the arcs problem.
    In this one
    • all arc planes are allowed
    • linearizesmallarcs still defaults to ON, you want it OFF for your case
    • when linearizing is off, arcs with significantly different start and end radii will have a new center calculated which will be used for the Gcode.
    • some additional stuff is also done, like making sure the center point Z lies between the start.Z and end.Z for helical moves (on XY plane, similarly for other planes), for some crazy reason Fusion does not give the center point as being midway between the start and end point in the helix direction, and when it is incorrect the radii are made MORE different giving false positives.
    Let us know if it works for you.
    If it doesn't, I need your Fusion drawing file, just export it as an f3d and upload it here or direct message it to me if you want it private.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Jeffrey A Melius

Builder

Thanks so much. I wont be able to try it for a week since i'm on vacation but it sounds perfect. For people interested i uploaded a photo of the effects of the problem that was fixed. the blade on the left has the linearization artifacts.
    thanks,
    Jeff

Attached Files:

7. David the swarfer

8. Jeffrey A Melius

Builder

Sorry it took me so long. I just did a complete machine run of the same knife bevel file that was giving me problems and it works perfect. I browsed through the gcode and confirmed the arcs were all there.
    Thanks so much,
    Jeff