Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Forgetting WP "0" location after power off

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Colt Feinauer, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Colt Feinauer

Builder

I performed the latest update last night before doing some work and am now having an issue I was not having before.

at the end of the day before I power down my machine I always hit the "home all" button before I shut OB control down and power off the machine. This keeps everything up and out of the way (i have the X- axis reversed to when facing the machine it homes up, to the left and back). I have a Square bolted to my spoil board and have always had the machines work piece 0 in the corner of the square since i do ALOT of repeat pieces. Now the problem, usually as long as home the machine before i shut it off it will remember workpiece "0" location and i can quickly jog right back to that same location the next day after power up. But as of yesterday after i did the update the machine does not seem to remember where the work piece "0" is when i power the machine off and back on. it will reset to a random coordinate and i have to reset all 3 axis manually.

am i missing something in the settings or did someting change? nothing else seems to be affected, just a little frustrating to have to reset all 3 axis everytime i power up

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Nothing changed in that regard. Very unlikely to be update related

It isnt even stored in CONTROL. You home (to set Machine Coordinates). Zeroing stock sets Work coordinates as an Offset from Machine coordinates. That offset is stored in the grbl EEPROM. After powering off, rehome to establish Machine Coordinates. Stored offsets all still apply until you set/clear them.

Remember to rehome so the machine knows the physical bounds and all will be well. You should home Before setting zero, and Home before starting for the day (the homing at the end of the day just gets it out of the way for you, but is technically incorrect to rely on homing prior to a power cycle. Do it the other way round. Power off, power on, then home.)

David the swarfer likes this.
  3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I agree with Peter, home after power on is a must.

sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.