Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Flute count, Feeds and Speeds - Heat Limits

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Kyle Golombos, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Kyle Golombos

Builder

All,

I've been running quite a few tests on my LEAD 1515 and have tried different feeds and speeds with the 2 flute bits I have. I've been working on cutting a large piece out of plywood. The top of the piece is covered with OraMask over black paint. I'm using the Makita rt0701c.

Interestingly enough, the collet seems to get pretty hot when I run the router even without a bit. Sometimes when I cut, the collet and shaft of the bit gets hot, but the cutting area where the wood is touching the bit does not usually. I'm using all of the calculations available... the point is that I am wondering if I should reduce my flute count to be able to hit the speeds I need so I don't dull my tool or stress the machine.

Various test run results are as follows:

1/2 inch PLYWOOD

1/4 inch single flute o-flute bit (because based on calculations, I cannot run a 2 flute 1/4 bit due to speed limits in IPM)
    .125 depth per pass
    40% stepover
    12,000 RPM's
    110 IPM (machine ended up skipping a step and milled a line right through the center of one of my letters)
    Plunge rate: 40 ipm
    Cutter in contact with wood: warm
    Bit shaft: hot
    Collet: scalding
    Large chips

1/8 2 flute downcut bit
    .08 depth per pass
    RPM 12,500 RPM
    100 IPM
    40% stepover
    40 IPM plunge
    Cutter in contact with wood: warm
    Collet: Scalding
    Medium chips

1/2 inch 2 flute 60 degree V BIT (for vcarving detail pass after using one of the above)
    .125 Depth per pass (on edges, not using it for full cut)
    100 IPM
    12,000 RPM
    40% stepover
    40 IPM plunge
    Cutter in contact with wood: warm to hot
    Collet: Scalding
    Small chips

The wood NEVER burns FYI and the tool is never discolored.

I've read that if you can't hold it in your hand, it's too hot. Is that true?
    Is the collet heat a function of what's happening when my tool is cutting through the wood?
    Is the plywood glue, oramask, or paint heating the bit up?

Any help is good help. Thanks.

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I've never found feed and speed charts useful for hobby type machines, just not stiff enough.
    I tend to adjust RPM to reduce /stop chatter.
    Carbide can take much more heat than your hand can with no ill effects.
    Motor (electrical) and bearings in the Makita will make the shaft hot all on its own.
    Been working for me at least. I'm not doing production of any kind so I don't worry much about getting the most performance, I need clean and reliable.
    Cheers
    Gary

3. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

"Interestingly enough, the collet seems to get pretty hot when I run the router even without a bit"

If that's the case, then the router needs attention before anything else. Sounds like maybe a dodgy bearing but certainly need investigating?, Also, the router should have a healthy airflow down through the casing. You should be able to run even a 3 hour job for example and still be able to change the bit without burning your fingers - should be barely warm.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Kyle Golombos

Builder

Thanks all. You know I actually went and got another makita at Home Depot to test it. Also I wanted to have a backup. Same issue. I’ve read some have had the same issue. Even cleaned out the collet multiple times. Maybe I’ll write to makita about it.

Thanks both for the guidance on this. I’ve been messing around since then and seem to have pretty much the same situation. Warm-ish blades, piping hot collet.