Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Flashing BlackBox X32

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Odin187x, Jun 15, 2024.

1. Odin187x

Odin187x New
    Builder

Fairly new to the CNC world so, please forgive any misused or lack of correct terminology.

I have recently put together two machines (a cnc router and laser) that I am using a Blackbox X32 to control. Each machine has their own; however, I am having issues flashing the board on the BlackBox for my laser.

The reason I am attempting to flash the board to begin with is because, the machine faults out when I attempt to home it. I have been doing research and, from what I can gather, it is because it is trying to home the z axis fails to do so. I do not have a motor or limit switches hooked up for the z axis. So, I was trying to change the settings to two axes homing, compile, then flash. Well, it fails every time.

Without having my machine in front of me, it was unable to connect to the board. I have tried a multitude of different solutions: Unplugging everything and plugging back in, unplugging everything that isn't needed to finish the flashing, updating drivers, compiling the config.h file to hex. then finishing through OB control (couldn't find anywhere to do this in the software), Arduino IDE, OB Control, LaserGRBL--I just can't find any solution.

I'll add this information just in case it is pertinent:

The limit switches are wired NC
    They are wired correctly (for NC)
    The machine runs and cuts/burns
    The limit switches, when manually depressed, throw hard faults
    It fails every homing attempt

I don't know if it is worth mentioning but, I also cannot get it to connect to LightBurn. Which is very unfortunate because, it is currently the only software that I have paid for. I can get it to connect to OB control but, I cannot get it to run anything. The only successful burns have been through LaserGRBL.

I do know (think I do), that OB would prefer the NO configuration; however, I have read and hear from many sources that the NC configuration is the safest. I would very much like to use it because of that reason.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No reflash needed. Homing is configured in $44-$45 on grblHAL. Set $44=1, $44=2 (X then Y, no Z) or $44=3, $45=0 (XY together, no Z)

Should work. But best to direct the Lightburn specific questions to Lightburn (You are paying them for support too hehe)

Set $5=0 in Grbl Settings

X32 uses GrblHAL, old 8 bit Grbl cannot be flashed too it, config.h no longer relevant, and Arduino certainly wrong tool for it too :)

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Jun 16, 2024 at 1:40 AM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024 at 2:02 AM
  3. Odin187x

Odin187x New
    Builder

You sir are incredible. How you are able to respond to so many people is beyond me. I feel like superpowers must be involved.

Fair point, regarding LightBurn. I will make these adjustments, then see if anything changes (with connecting to the software). I doubt it will but, if it doesn’t, I’ll reach out to them afterwards.

I appreciate the information and look forward to plugging those in when I get home today! Thank you for your time and effort, it is very much appreciated!

I spent days trying to figure this out and you, seemingly, solved it without much effort. One night I was up until 3am and had to be to work at 7am… That was rough.

Also, those Blackboxes are incredible. I had a box that I had made (roughly the same size as a computer tower), to hold all of the components that would be required for this build. Which, took a decent amount of time and effort to make. Toggle switches, running the wires, learning to wire the switches correctly (for me), learning the difference between momentary switches vs latching (after purchase, of course), holes for PWM fans, board for PWM control, etc. etc.

Thankfully, I only had one made up before I deciding to buy two of the Blackboxes. I am glad I learned the stuff I did from making one; however, factoring the time it took to learn how to do it correctly, the money it cost for the components/hardware/lumber, and the actual assembly, I am still up. Kudos to whomever designed those!

#3 Odin187x, Jun 16, 2024 at 8:47 AM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024 at 9:19 AM
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Quick check but your LightBURN is up to date right

5. Odin187x

Odin187x New
    Builder

It is.

6. Peter Van Der Walt