Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

First job “hello world”

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Brent Bolster, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Brent Bolster

Builder

Hey Everyone!
    New to Forum.... just finally fully completed my Workbee 1010! After several months, and upgrading to the new black box in the middle of my build, finally ran the first test file.
    First off, my motors from Openbuild’s we’re wired completely different to instructions for wiring..... thankfully I read were and how to test the wires for resistance and did a continuity test, result were colours were all screwed up on all 4! So frustrating!
    My question is..... when it cut the “Hello World” as the file was originated, the dimensions on the screen (Openbuild software) it shows it under 120 mm, when in fact it requires over 145 mm (approx. values) home zero was set within 10 mm of each corner of the piece of wood! Should this be the case? Or do I have a setting in my defaults for slightly larger then 100%?
    Would like to resolve before testing my own drawings, as I need them exact!!
    Thank you in Advance!
    B

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You need to calibrate the axes.
    Note there is a calibration Wizard in OpenBuildsCONTROL but do follow the link to understand how it works. Knowledge is power (-:

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Were they from openbuildspartstore.com directly? If so that is very weird

4. Brent Bolster

Builder

Yes they were directly from open builds store and have open builds logo on outside of each! Nema 23’s

B

5. Peter Van Der Walt

6. Brent Bolster

Builder

Yes worked exactly off the docs and a large iPad running your videos with the young guy walking through every step of the build....
    the motors grinded..... so I removed one after doing a full rewriring a second time... step by step confirming exact 4 colour combination.... I assure you!
    After removing 1 Motor to check continuity of the 4 wires and confirm the pairs as order stated in videos.... the motor I had on the Z-axis had the blue and green backwards. So I followed up to confirm by connecting the correct wires to see if I had resistance on the motor... which I did and confirmed pairs ! Red/green then I went blue/yellow.. so I connected it back up and verified the remaining order to the black box. And tested... worked fine for the first time... no grinding like it wanted to go forward and backwards at the same time. When wired in order, as per instructions... not only would it grind and struggle, but would only turn one way regardless of z+ or z- command in controller. So I then checked remaining motors and found not only was blue and green backwards but the pairs needed reversed for correct -/+ command directions for both x and Z....
    after last full reorder or wiring.... all worked fine! Adjusted roller tension and did the first test cut “hello world” cut great! Exact size was over the dimensions expected given what it showed sitting on grid of software....
    was closer to around 140mm when I expected it to be like the software at close to 110x120 (approx)
    B

7. Peter Van Der Walt

The videos aren't as up to date as the Docs (harder to go edit a video without reshooting the video)

of course if you have had the stuff for a long time, the nice up-to-date documentation might not apply to old hardware (;
    The wire color codes changed about two years ago, so that explains that

Alas thats why docs:blackbox:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation] exists to help with the particular issues, as mentioned:

You have to Calibrate your steps per mm (X, Y and Z) , as mentioned above

Also see

#7 Peter Van Der Walt, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Brent Bolster likes this.
  8. Brent Bolster

Builder

Will go through all of this! And yes that explains a lot in regards to older equipment, however I finished wiring the machine first of this year when I bought the new black box and new wiring kit! So that was only a few months ago.... might be a suggestion to include the documents or a small post card size notice to the direction of those docs! Or even a mention in the video for the black box, as that was what I watched as well!
    Will go through calibration! thank you!
    B

David the swarfer likes this.
  9. Brent Bolster

Builder

And Thank you again for following up to ensure I was on right path to cleaning up my issues!
    Many Thanks!

#9 Brent Bolster, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2020