Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

First cut jitters

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Cornerspace, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Cornerspace

Builder

Got my Cbeam resurrected. Did a first cut but reckon it can be better. Couple of questions about the
    1. The need to define origin point of the 3 axis. (Do I set the zero value on the machine or do I use the probe function to determine that?
    2. Use of the Z axis probe (What does it really do?)
    3. the inconsistent depth of cuts. (The cut is deeper than what I had set in the cut parameter when defining the Gcode)
    4. Am using Sketchup and the Openbuilds CAM to create the Gcode

Where am I going wrong? Any advice and tips will be appreciated.

So far, I blew one PSU. :(

My setup.

Vanilla Cbeam using a Makita RT701C
    Arduino Uno Interface
    Openbuild CONTROL
    DM425A Drivers

Attached Files:

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

First thing to do is watch this:

In order for everything to work correctly, you need to home your machine first. If you have limit switches installed, you can use the Home button in Control. If not, you need to fake Homing: How to 'Fake the home'

After you have homed the machine, then you need to set your part/stock Zero. Since you only have a Z probe, you will need to jog your machine into position to set the X and Y zero. Then you can use the Z probe wizard to set your Z0. Make sure you select the "OpenBuilds Z Touch Plate" in the Probe Type dropdown. Or you can use the paper technique as shown in the video.

Sets your Z0. Usually on top of your stock or on your waste board. In the video, they set it to the stock top.

Make sure you calibrate your steps/mm for each axis. In Control go into the Wizards menu. There are wizards that will help you do this.

Peter Van Der Walt and Rick 2.0 like this.
  3. Cornerspace

Builder

Thanks. Will try out the suggestions. What are the recommendations for tool changes in the middle of a cutting operation?

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Post a separate file for each tool being used. Reset/probe Z after changing a tool. Dont reset X and Y.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how you did that. I just don't think that anything you do with the machine can cause it except wiring it wrong. Can that be what caused it?

6. Cornerspace

Builder

That is an excellent question. The wiring is in good order. The Cbeam is actually a project that I completed almost two plus years ago and shelved due to space limitations. Just dusted off and tried resurrecting it. Lack of use? The machine actually went a bit askew and off tangent as the configurations were not properly defined and the I have yet to install hard endstops. :(