Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Firmware update on Blackbox x32 Failed

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Rumble-guitars, Aug 7, 2023.

1. Rumble-guitars

Builder

Hi
    I tried my CNC with openbuilds control software this morning. It was working fine except the Z axis was inverted and the emergency button was not working. I saw that I have to update firmware to do be able to use the "door" feature. So I did it and of course it failed. And the bad thing is I forgot to do a backup before.
    What can I do ? I tried to do it in bootload mode, same problem. Here is a screenshot. Capture d’écran 2023-08-07 165211.png
    Thanks for your help, this is so frustrating.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

COM1 would be an onboard COMport, not the BlackBox, so by selecting the wrong port, you luckilly have done nothing to the BlackBox yet.

3. Rumble-guitars

Builder

Strange. I disconnect everything, check all the cable, nothing wrong, restart and now I can use it again. But the problem is I can't use the door feature to connect my emergency switch. My firmware is 1.1f.
    By the way, I found were to change the direction of Z axis in GRBL configuration.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Not strange at all, as earlier you didn't have the BlackBox port selected, nothing happened. You did put it into bootloader mode, but clicking Reset or power cycling would boot it back up straight away

Are you sure you have a BlackBox X32? It should run grblHAL

Door input is for a Door sensor
    If you want an EMERGENCY switch you need one of these: https://www.rockler.com/safety-power-tool-switch
    You cannot rely on software in a real emergency. Cut power. To everything. Wall socket > E-Stop > Power Strip > Everything else. What if a PSU is on fire. What if a router is chopping at someone's stuck hand. What if... You'll be happy you can cut power immediately on that day.

David the swarfer likes this.
  5. Rumble-guitars

Builder

Where can I find the Blackbox port ? I have only one port visible in the connect tab.
    Yes, it's a BB x32. I have seen in the Grbl pref "grbl /grblHAL -> 1 / masked"
    Here is a picture of my BBx32 and emergency switch.
    I think I have to check the grbl settings. But it's hard to understand everything and find the good data. And I'm french, it's not easy to understand everything in english :)
    My CNC is a Ratrig Stronghold one 1250x750 with Vevor Spindle 2.2kw and Vevor VFD.
    Thanks.
    359755584_2936398099826750_5144079679144631234_n.jpg 364355786_217273691312230_5747705647317344643_n.jpg

6. Peter Van Der Walt

If you want to use your own switch, get a qualified electrician in to make up an E-Stop socket for you to plug the machine into

Particularly as you'll need the correct size of switch to handle this - that's why its advisable to get an electrician: a 10A switch won't be the correct size