Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Firmware for 4X box

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Charles Pierce, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Charles Pierce

Builder

Do I need to add or remove any jumpers to update firmware for 4x Blackbox to prevent blackbox damage?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No jumpers needed to update, but note Grbl (8 bit version use on the 4X) hasn't had any major updates in years. What is your intention?

3. Charles Pierce

Builder

Good, so I don't have to update.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Correct! 4X users would only reflash for advanced config changes (parking, door, servo, 2 axes etc)

5. christopher ellis

Builder

i am currently using x32 option in control, but want to use x4 but i dont have option, i only have 2 options x32 and interface. could you tell me how to get the x4 option in my firmware update drop down.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

For older boards you can checkout manual procedure on the Grbl Wiki for any firmware customization
    • Setup arduino environment
    • Edit config.h to enable door
    • Compile and flash as shown in the Grbl Wiki

7. christopher ellis

Builder

i understand but why does my openbuild control no show x4 option

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Reason 1: Its been a retired product for almost 1.5 years (BlackBox X32 is the current generation), and

Reason 2: grbl itself hasn't had any updates in 5 years. Releases · gnea/grbl - there's no real new firmware to update to. The world moved onto grblHAL (32 bit ecosystem)

Reason 3: Also, because the world moved on the 8 bit flashing tools broke along the way so we had removed them: See line 51 of the changelog: OpenBuilds-CONTROL/CHANGELOG.txt at 7a0cbe49c650b61fc5aed45d8c52796968a22c37 · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL (broken code could no longer compile, can't hold back updates/releases due to broken tool)

Reason 4: Besides, grbl is still configurable and flashable with its own tools as described in its wiki: Flashing Grbl to an Arduino so no real good reason to keep it around (more code work, maintenance etc) for the odd rare old controller that needs a special config, years after we stopped selling them.

Reason 5: There are alternatives, better alternatives - DOOR is very configurable, it really is best done in config.h + recompile + flash anyway to tweak the behaviour your need: See grbl/grbl/config.h at bfb67f0c7963fe3ce4aaf8a97f9009ea5a8db36e · gnea/grbl and grbl/grbl/config.h at bfb67f0c7963fe3ce4aaf8a97f9009ea5a8db36e · gnea/grbl

5 Good reasons you won't find the tool in CONTROL anymore. Use the standard Grbl procedures