Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Fine control of linear motion systems

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by AlphaBeta, Mar 24, 2023.

1. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta New
    Builder

I'm looking to determine the ability to make fine adjustments with a 2 meter linear motion system. Unlike typical CNC systems, I'll be able to use perception to make adjustments.

Example. Assume we want the robot to move to 1520.0mm and it starts at 0.0mm.
    1) Command robot to move forward 1520.0mm
    2) Robot moves to 1512.2mm.
    3) Use perception to determine that the robot needs to move forward 7.8mm
    4) Command robot to move forward 7.8mm
    5) Robot moves to 1520.3mm
    6) Use perception to determine that the robot needs to move backwards 0.3mm
    7) Command robot to move backward 0.3mm
    8) Robot moves to 1520.0mm
    9) Use perception to determine that the robot is at the correct location, within some tolerance.

Note that I'm not specifically looking for accuracy or precision of the first move, which is what is important for standard CNC machines.

I'm trying to evaluate the ability of (a) belt drives, (b) lead screws, (c) rack and pinion, and (d) rack and belt to make the small adjustments noted above. In addition, I'm trying to figure out if a gantry cart can support small adjustments. Ideally, I'm looking to achieve an accuracy (after adjustments) of less than .2mm.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

First. If calibrated, the machine should move the distance you want.

Second. If you want more precise small moves, of the three you listed you want leadscrews.

3. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta New
    Builder

Thanks. I figured the same. I'm a little scared using a 8mm lead screw that's 2 meters long, so I'll probably end up using 16mm or 25mm if I can get them at a decent price.