Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Feedback on Raster Fill

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Tim Wolf, Jul 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tim Wolf

Tim Wolf New
    Builder

Hi,
    Here I would like to offer some feedback regarding the Raster Fill function. In the online CAM it looked all perfect, but the result had some imperfections, unfortunitly. I tried a several times, but the imperfections were consistent.

In general, what looks like hatch (see photo attached) made of one thick line followed by one "blank line", are in fact TWO thin lines followed by ONE blank line. In other words, since its made by serpentine pattern, the step distance to side is small, big, small, big, small etc.

Let me explain more detailed:
    1) While making most of the hatch nice and consistent by using the serpentine pattern, at the three specific spots, there was suddenly a travel to the other side (next to where the previous line started). These travels resulted in a non consistent line spacing, which turned out well visible. If the three travel moves were not made, and the serpentine pattern was simply continued, the hatching would have been perfect (I asume).
    2) At the two specific spots the serpentine pattern was continued (so no big travel moves), but the step sideways was just a little different from all other side steps, resulting in a visibly different line spacing.
    3) Unfortunitly the hatching did not consistantly reach the countour line. Some places it was perfect, but others there was a significant area left blank. It is not just a consistant shift, as far as I can see.

I truly LOVE the OpenBuilds CAM & Control software, so I hope I can find a way to overcome these imperfections.

Tim

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Theoretically, that would be Mechanical, some backlash, somewhere.

Fill will not touch the outline, as the fill is offset from the vector outline by half the radius of the laser (so the edge should touch if you have the spot size same as the actual size). If you are using a larger offset, you have to compensate the outline as well by doing an inside cut instead
    This is so it can be used with Milling as well (endmill radius)