Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

F360 Post Processor returning to home with incorrect Z value

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Pipthepilot, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Pipthepilot

Builder

Hello this is my first post and hoping someone can help?

I've just completed building a custom CNC router that uses the excellent Openbuilds Blackbox X32. Last night, I ran my first few jobs. The first two were levelling the spoiler board and engraving a grid into it, which both went well.

For the third job, I created a simple corner clamp and although the job cut the piece perfectly, once complete the machine proceeded to return the cutter to the start location and in doing so, ran the cutter straight through the work piece. It appears the Z coordinate changed once the job completed from 0 being the top of the workpiece to 0 being top of the spoiler board which was the location of the cutter when the job completed.

I use Fusion 360 for CAD and CAM using the Openbuilds/Fusion 360 post processor. Reading posts on this forum, I was fully aware I needed to home the machine prior to starting the job so that was the first thing I did, I then set the workpiece XYZ zeros using the Touch Probe before running the job.

As mentioned, this was last night and I haven't had chance to run another job/test since but wondered if there was anything obvious that I should be aware of when I run it again?

Sorry in advance if this has been covered before, I found lots of forum articles on Z axis issues at the start of a job linked to not homing but couldn't find anything about post job issues?

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

so Z lost steps when it raised up, at some point.
    this can happen when it rapids up, and the solution is a simple 2 parter:
    in the GRBL settings:
    adjust the max rate for Z down, start at 75% of current value, go lower if needed
    adjust the acceleration for Z, down, half the current value.

and check the mechanics for any sticky spots or loose grub screws etc. and by check we mean physically try to move the shafts etc, just looking at it tells you nothing (-:

now run that code again, without a workpiece but with the correct workpiece height setting so you can compare the starting and ending Z height.

also please post your Gcode here so we can have a look, just in case there is an actual bug in the postprocessor.

3. Pipthepilot

Builder

Thanks David, I'll take a look this afternoon and let you know.

4. Pipthepilot

Builder

Hi David,

I was able to make the change you recommended and this sorted the issue straight away. Thanks again for your help.

David the swarfer likes this.