Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Estlcam with OpenBuilds blackbox

Discussion in 'Other Software' started by Grzegorz123, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Grzegorz123

Builder

Hi, how to configure estlcam v11 to use it with OpenBuilds blackbox?
    Anyone can write me step by step configuration?
    Thank's.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

1) Under the set-up tab "basic settings" pick your G-code "flavor." I chose grbl.
    upload_2022-8-6_10-1-10.png
    2) Under Set-up tab "program settings, chose what you want again. I picked grbl and I prefer millimeters. I did nothing to all the other tabs in this window.
    upload_2022-8-6_10-5-57.png
    3)Under the set-up tap "CNC controller settings, you need to put in YOUR calibrated steps/mm. The 1600 steps per revolution is for 1/8 microstepping (8 x 200) for motors that have 200 steps/revolution. The settings pictured here are the default settings so you need to figure out yours. Put in the theoretical and then dial it in from there. You also need to figure out what acceleration ratings work for you. On the right you can see that you can scroll down (second picture). The numbers listed there will be associated with the inputs on the rest of the tabs in this window. You will then need to go through each of those tabs and add whatever peripherals (dust collection, spindle, etc) that you have hooked up to the black box. After that is done, go back to the first tab, make sure the Blackbox is plugged in, and click on "program controller." If for some reason you want to not use Estlcam, click "restore controller".
    upload_2022-8-6_10-9-11.png upload_2022-8-6_10-11-30.png

If you hold your mouse over any of the options, you will get a description of what it does and how best to set it up. See below.

I am not sure what machine you are trying to control, but if it is an OpenBuilds machine with high torque steppers I can give you screen shots of my settings. I have the acceleration dialed in through trail and error and the amount of time it saves on 3D carves is amazing. I have the IOT switch connected to the spindle output so it turns on and off my spindle.

#2 Giarc, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  3. Grzegorz123

Builder

@Giarc thank's!
    I have stepper motors OpenBuilds nema 23. Screws ACME 8mm. My machine is like 1010 but smaller, 750mm.
    On forum I found some information that I can use Xpro setup in estlcam for blackbox, is that right? Or better way to use grbl 1.1 as You describe?

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I did grbl. I believe. I will run out and look. It will take a few minutes.

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Use grbl.

Here are my settings on the Lathe using all OpenBuilds components. It is 1000mm along X. My Y axis is normally a rotary, but I added a removable Y table using the same lead screws. Again, you will probably have to adjust to your machine. I reversed direction because of how it was wired.

stepsmm.PNG
    My Blackbox does not control the speed of the router so I believe these are just defaults.
    spinde speed.PNG
    Inputs
    switches.PNG

Outputs - This is for the IOT power strip the router is plugged into.
    spindle.PNG

Homing - My machine is custom so the sizes listed are not what you would use. These are basically the "soft limits". The X should be close though if you have a 1010.
    homing.PNG

Touchplate - My settings look wonky because it is a lathe and zero is set to the center of rotation. In Vcarve I always zero to the center. So my probe is one of the older OpenBuilds probes with no edgefinding I zero on top of the tailstock block and the probe height is added to the distance to the center of the axis.
    touchplate.PNG

#5 Giarc, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Xpro uses at328pb chip, BlackBox 4X uses at328p. Not the same. Keep Grbl else you are locked in to EstlCAM

Giarc likes this.
  7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Another thing to note, in your basic settings tab, make sure you choose the Z axis origin to what you prefer. Top of workpiece, or machine bed. One of these you can screw up without damage, the other wrong choice leads to a broken endmill and ruined work piece.
    upload_2022-8-6_11-17-17.png

8. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I will edit the post. Thanks.