Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Estlcam with Black Box Controller anyone?

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by willow52, Apr 15, 2020.

1. willow52

willow52 New
    Builder

Has anyone tried using a black box controller with Estlcam? If so, how did it work out?

Seems like it should be a good fit - and also has the benefit of a trochoidal milling capability.

Just can't seem to find out if anyone has ever tried to run a cnc using the estlcam software combined with the Black Box from openbuilds. Would be interested in any experience others may have had.

Willow52

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Works fine yes, in essence the heart of the BlackBox is just an Arduino with Grbl, so EstlCAM firmware works on it too. Or you can export Gcode from Estlcam and keep Grbl/Control workflow too

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

4. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I have been using ESTLcam on BB for a while now, works great, treat it as an XPro when you flash it.
    Cheers
    Gary

upload_2020-4-16_18-59-2.png

Giarc likes this.
  5. willow52

willow52 New
    Builder

Not wishing to 'brick' my superb Black Box, can you confirm which setup from Estlcam I should be flashing the Black Box with? Gary seems to say that he uses an Xpro for his setup - whereas I would have thought that I should be using something more in line with a Uno R3 based setup. It certainly seems that way to me as this is what is recommended when I load the estlcam software (see attached screenshot file).

Just trying to make sure that I get no nasty surprises if and when I go down this route to see which I prefer.... Would be even better to know if all the pin assignments (shown in my screengrab attached) are in fact correct for the Black Box?

Thanks to all - Willow52

Attached Files:

6. Peter Van Der Walt

The BlackBox is an Uno compatible (in terms of bootloader and chip config)
    It's pinout is offical Grbl pinout: gnea/grbl

7. willow52

willow52 New
    Builder

Good to know that Peter. The fact that Estlcam effectively 'backs up' the existing configuration of the controller being updated, gives a degree of confidence when trying to decide what software works best for each individual. Knowing that you can go back to the existing setup (should you not like the newer setup), gives greater cofidence to at least give this software a try. Should things not work out for me, the ability to revert to my original setup is a nice safety net to fall back on.

It does seem that Estlcam has a lot of very useful features not generally available in other offerings i.e. - auto leveling and trochoidal milling being just two items that particularly interest me . I have watched all the videos available on youtube from Estlcam but I am a little disappointed that there seems to be very little 'new' information since the the release of the later versions of Estlcam - most videos relate to version 8 and the website is currently offering version 11?

Willow52

8. Gary Caruso

I used the Xpro config on mine and have had no issues with pin-outs, limits or spindle for example work correctly. Uno probably fine as well, I don't think it would matter.
    Yes the backup restore works too, I tested it.
    Gary

Giarc likes this.
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

Uno = ATmega328P
    xPro = ATmega328PB
    They have different signatures, slightly different peripherals

10. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

The change log details all the updates. Estlcam: 2D / 3D CAM und CNC Steuerung... I have the latest version on my laptop that is in the house and I found some of the features like mirroring and flipping objects much more intuitive on the newest version. I always check out my .dxf files on that laptop in Estlcam - which also always has the current version - before putting them on an SD card and heading out to the garage. I noticed these changes immediately when I loaded the .dxf onto my old crappy aluminum chip covered laptop with a previous version (probably 2 or three changes ago) and the mirroring and flipping was screwing with me. I also finally got smart and started saving various too lists for the different materials I cut. I was always entering the same tool multiple times with different feeds and speeds. It got real cluttered and occasionally things went bad real fast with the wrong click of my mouse.

11. Gary Caruso

The video's are good, the version doesn't matter too much, if you have any questions just post on the forum and we will help.
    Christian Knüll (the creator of Estlcam) is on here every so often as well.

Cheers
    Gary

12. Duncan Meyer

Builder

Hi,
    I'm confused. I have been using Estlcam v11 for a while now on my Lowrider2. Basically, employing a three step process of CAD, Estlcam and Repetier. Export the DXF file from CAD, import into Estlcam, and save as NC code for use by Repetier.

I now have a Workbee with Blackbox. Can't I simply use the same workflow (i.e. import the gcode produced by Estlcam into Blackbox Control? What's all this about flashing firmware?

Regards,
    Duncan

13. Gary Caruso

Hi Duncan, Yes you can keep the same workflow, only need to flash the firmware if you wish to use the Estlcam controller. (Which I have using the X-pro preset)
    Cheers
    Gary

14. Duncan Meyer

Builder

Good to know. Three questions, however.
    1. What are the benefits of using the Estlcam controller, and will this replace the CONTROL interface with its own?
    2. How does one flash the Blackbox?
    3. Will doing this get around the ever-present error of not being able to find GRBL 1.1 which so many people are experiencing?

#14 Duncan Meyer, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  15. Peter Van Der Walt

3) that error 99% of the time relates to users causing wiring short, or having wiring breaks (back-EMF dumping), or some other mistake like spinning motors by hand while connected to the controller, etc. Sometimes it is computer related (drivers, USB port problems, etc). The Troubleshooting guide usually resolves it, though as always there are some edge cases that need a replacement

If you manage to kill the controller (or if the short is just preventing it from booting) obviously it can't find the firmware anymore :) because the board is fried (or not booting until the short is addressed, or Windows isnt allowing us to talk to the Port to detect Firmware, etc) and thus the error message.

The software also mentions the more usual reasons (people trying to connect to an older version of Grbl, or incompatible hardware like a Smoothieboard, or an unflashed controller etc) thus the phrasing of that particular error message as those are the more likely reasons than the handful of users who pick up damage.
    See Github Release Stats for the counts :) so the software tries to phrase errors generically for the benefit of all users.

Refer to docs.openbuilds.com (Warning messages on all relevant pages like Limit switch wiring, PSU etc where users make the mistakes) so no, a change of firmware will not guard against that. Checking wiring against the documentation, making solid connections that doesnt come loose after a couple hours of movement/vibration, never working on wiring with the power turned on, never spinning motors by hand (they become generators that kick back voltages into the controller causing damage) using a quality power supply, etc will help a lot more :)

Heres a list of the popular reasons for the error and how to troubleshoot it docs:blackbox:faq-usb-connection-failed [OpenBuilds Documentation]

And of course the Store always got your back to help with any problems

16. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

1) Benefits are many if you are using Estlcam to produce the gcode. You would eliminate the need to save the .nc file for other software. I create my toolpaths in Estlcam then rather than saving the gcode to a file, I click on "Machine project." This opens up Estlcam CNC Controller. Estlcam CNC controller has a lot of options for probing your work so you can do surface scanning, center finding, and many others.

The nice thing about Openbuilds Control is that it is set up for their machines. What you could do is try using OpenBuilds CAM Gcode Creator - Public Beta which is a similar concept, but as an Estlcam user it may seem more difficult because you are used to the flow of Estlcam. I tried using OpenBuilds CAM to answer someone's question once, but my brain has been to engrained into the Estlcam workflow for the past several years that it was hard for me even though it is a very logical and well put together process.

If you do choose the Estlcam controller it will flash your BlackBox with Estlcam's firmware, but it saves all your current settings so it can be easily reversed through the Estlcam software.

Gary Caruso likes this.
  17. Duncan Meyer

Builder

Hi,
    Thank you both for your comprehensive replies. Peter, it is entirely possible that I committed one of the cardinal sins you mentioned. Your polite slap on the wrist is noted. I'm just a little confused by why things were working perfectly till I moved one of the Y-axis steppers by hand - NOTE: it isn't possible to move steppers by hand with the power on, so I switched everything off. And my movement was exceedingly slow, because it is quite awkward to turn them by hand. But, I may well have overdone it. My bad. I've returned it to MakerStore in Melbourne who will either fix the board, or I will have to buy another black box I guess. Live and learn...

Gary - thank you for your overview of the Estlcam controller. I think I'll probably stick with the default CONTROL application - I quite like it.

Regards to you both,
    Duncan

18. Gary Caruso

I move my machine often without power on, slow is key.
    When something was working then it’s not, almost always wiring issue.
    Also I’m a big fan of grounding and shielding, which isn’t addressed much on the openbuilds videos but should be IMO.
    Cheers
    Gary

19. Peter Van Der Walt

They will probably warranty it :) Openbuilds does stand by its Products, and we try to make them bulletproof. But there are always some things one either cannot protect against without other side effects, or unexpected ways. Luckily the statistics show its getting quite hard to break them :)

Glad you like Control!

20. willow52

willow52 New
    Builder

Hi Gary,
    Have just now finished building a Shapeoko 2 clone (which I am very pleased with) and have successfully controlled it using my Black Box controller. I'm now looking to see if I can hook it up successfully to EstlCam v10.

I did take note of your earlier comments that the the way to go was to set it up as an XPPro. However, I can't seem to find that option anywhere - the only controllers avaiable in my version 10 seem to be Shapeoko 3 and Stepcraft. Also, grbl 1.1 seems to be unavailable as well, so I'm a bit stumped as to where to go next.

Hope you can give me one or two pointers as to where I should actually be looking to find the XPPro dropdown?

Regards willow52

21. Gary Caruso

From v10 you can update to latest version and your purchase code will still work.
    Cheers
    Gary

22. willow52

willow52 New
    Builder

OK Gary, got it now, many thanks....

Gary Caruso likes this.
  23. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

The Xpro is here below. But wouldn't Grbl 0.9-1.1 be a possible choice?
    upload_2020-10-24_20-16-55.png

Attached Files:

24. Gary Caruso

Grbl preset would probably work just fine, but I just did mine over last weekend as I replaced my pc and xpro preset worked again perfectly. Tested coolant, spindle control, limits and probe.
    I think it was Christian who recommended using xpro a while back when BB came out.
    Cheers
    Gary

25. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Good to know. I have not yet decided If I will go with OB Control on my lathe, or use Estlcam. I do like the jog widget on the phone of OB control. It saves me from buying another x box controller.

26. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Well the search bar works and I found this thread. I also found out after a couple hours of frustration that my previous statement is definitely not possible. I could not get it to do anything when programmed with "GRBL 0.9-1.1 with PWM." I knew Gary said something about "Xpro" so I programmed it as per his recommendation and it works great. Thanks, Gary!

I switched from OpenBuilds Control because I wanted a dedicated laptop for this machine and the only one I had was a really old Windows 7 laptop that could not run OpenBuilds Control. I knew it would run Estlcam, because it previously was used on the other CNC machine. It also works much better now that I did a factory reset of it and removed all software I could but Estlcam.

Now I just need to figure out how to change the post processor in Vcarve so it goes to XY zero before plunging the Z to the "safe height" prior to moving. If the work stock is more than 5mm lower than the top of the tail stock (where I have the probe) all kinds of bad stuff can happen if you start the job from the probing point as evidenced by the below photo and then confirmed at least 5 more times. I would like to say the other 5 times was for more data points, but it was just stupidity on my part.:banghead:
    IMG_20210421_125439886.jpg

Gary Caruso likes this.
  27. Peter Van Der Walt

Means some other application is still open and connected to it. For example if you had CONTROL open, and minimised it to tray while it was still connected. Click Disconnect before giving other applications a turn.

You can also choose to keep using CONTROL and use EstlCAM as a "cam" only - export gcode to file and run it from CONTROL.