Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Error compiling on Lubuntu 18.04 32bit..

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by CartesianPlain, Dec 17, 2020.

1. CartesianPlain

Builder

So I'd like to get CONTROL running on my older Celeron M 1.6ghz laptop, which is a 32 bit processor. I've installed Lubuntu 18.04 fresh - it seems to be the latest version that still supports 32bit processors.

I tried running the .appImage file but it just creates a blank file in the same directory and exits.

I've followed Peter's instructions of compiling from this thread ( 32bit Linux CONTROL software ) :

git clone OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL
    cd OpenBuilds-CONTROL
    npm install
    ./node_modules/bin/electron-builder --linux deb

npm give ssome permission denied errors, so I try running it with sudo and still get errors and at this point I'm definitely in over my head.

119 warn [email protected] requires a peer of jscs@^3.0.3 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
    120 warn The package ncp is included as both a dev and production dependency.
    121 verbose stack Error: @serialport/[email protected] install: `prebuild-install --tag-prefix @serialport/bindings@ || node-gyp rebuild`
    121 verbose stack Exit status 1
    121 verbose stack at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/npm-lifecycle/index.js:332:16)
    121 verbose stack at emitTwo (events.js:126:13)
    121 verbose stack at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:214:7)
    121 verbose stack at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/npm-lifecycle/lib/spawn.js:55:14)
    121 verbose stack at emitTwo (events.js:126:13)
    121 verbose stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:214:7)
    121 verbose stack at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:925:16)
    121 verbose stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:209:5)
    122 verbose pkgid @serialport/[email protected]
    123 verbose cwd /home/mike/OpenBuilds-CONTROL
    124 verbose Linux 5.4.0-58-generic
    125 verbose argv "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/local/bin/npm" "install"
    126 verbose node v8.10.0
    127 verbose npm v6.14.9
    128 error code ELIFECYCLE
    129 error errno 1
    130 error @serialport/[email protected] install: `prebuild-install --tag-prefix @serialport/bindings@ || node-gyp rebuild`
    130 error Exit status 1
    131 error Failed at the @serialport/[email protected] install script.
    131 error This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.
    132 verbose exit [ 1, true ]

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Run "npm install jscs" to install that depency, just as the warning suggests

Missing make/linux headers/some other build tool. Refer to the mode-serialport docs Installing SerialPort · Node SerialPort

3. CartesianPlain

Builder

Thanks Peter, but I get additional errors when trying to install these as well. I actually tried to install several different distros, hoping one would work with the .appImage (easiest route!) but all of them failed in the same way - creating a junk-named empty file ( �F@@��@8@ (invalid encoding) ). I'm wondering if it's because all of the distros I tried were 32bit?

If the .appImage can't be made to work on 32bit systems, would it be possible to post a step-by-step of what needs to be installed and configured to compile from the github repository on a fresh system that doesn't even have npm (or even git) installed by default.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Those errors probably tell you what else is missing :) choosing to be a Linux user, one can be expected to deal with this level of pain. If dependency management is not for you, consider Windows :)

Pretty sure it does work on 32bit

Try the DEB?

Should be Node 12 by the way

5. CartesianPlain

Builder

Trying the .deb file, the package installer says "Error: wrong architecture 'amd64' -- Run dpkg --add- architecure to add it and update afterwards"