Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Error 9 mid way through job

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by TylerC, Apr 17, 2020.

1. TylerC

TylerC New
    Builder

Hey guys. I keep having an error 9 issue.

Lead 1010 machine, black box. Using grblmm file from v carve.

basically part way through the job it will pause, I get error 9, clear it. It will also say the hard limit was triggered. I have checked my switches in troubleshooting. They are all functioning properly.

Maybe I am crazy. But I haven’t used the machine a ton and it seems to only happen when I am cutting acrylic. I cut some wood and some Sintra plastic. No issues at all. When I cut acrylic it does this. Today I was just trying to surface a wood board with resin in the middle. Cutting nicely, but stops part way through.

What information can I give here as far as codes and such for anyone to help me? I can copy/paste or take pics of whatever you need. Thanks guys.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Router or spindle? Where have you routed mains/spindle cables? Do you have dust extraction/shoe? If so have you earthed the extractor hose? What sort of limit/homing switches are you using?
    Alex.

3. TylerC

TylerC New
    Builder

Currently using a router. Dewalt. All cabling is routes through the channels of the machine, the only exception being the power cable for the router which is suspended above the machine to stay out of the way.

Currently no dust extraction... That is actually one of the projects I’m trying to work on at the moment with acrylic.

The limit/homing switches are the openbuilds switches that came with the machine. They are routes through the channels and follow along with all the other wiring back to the controller.

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

When you mentioned it only happened when machining plastic my first thought was EMI - hence the question about dust extraction, but your cabling arrangements are what I would have recommended. Are your switches the basic microswitches or the Xtension switches with built-in filtering? I know you said you have checked your switches in troubleshooting so I thought it would be a bit insulting to suggest this but..... have you checked your limit switch wiring? Partially clamped insulation, bad crimp, wire can even be broken inside insulation so check (power off and unplug) continuity. You could even have a faulty switch - do any of them give a trigger with a tiny movement?
    Alex.

5. TylerC

TylerC New
    Builder

I will check continuity and connections when I have a free moment.

Worth mentioning I have turned the limit switches off in the Openbuilds software to try that. I haven’t unplugged them, just turned them off in software and am still getting the same error.. Also, I have pulled up the diagnostics error in the software as well and watched it whole the program is running, but the error window pops up and blocks it so I am unable to see what switch is tripping if that is the issue..

6. TylerC

TylerC New
    Builder

Another update. I just unplugged the switches and ran my surfacing program that was causing issues prior and it worked fine.

I’ll take the machine apart and check all 3 switches later. Obviously it is a switch causing issue. Also, I need to finish the dust boot. I have a little suspicion the z axis switch is being tripped due to some static possibly when cutting plastic...

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

That is what I was thinking, which is why I asked what sort of switches you have - if you haven't already got them have a look at the Xtension limit switches;

Xtension Limit Switch Kit

Alex.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

They have onboard RC noise filtering (;