Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

equipotential bonding a v-slot machine in practise.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by robin lawrie, Apr 30, 2021.

1. robin lawrie

Builder

i (kinda, maybe, probably not) understand the theory of equipotential bonding.. but im struggling to see clearly how to achieve it in reality.

i have a star-ground setup with the star ground plate located in the control box.

so: does equipotential bonding require a separate heavy gauge cable/strap from each axis/major component of the machine, all the way to the star-point? this would mean quite a few more heavy cables in my drag chains, and trailing to the control panel.

Or, is it sufficient to simply link all the axes together with straps/cables through the drag chains, then connect the machine to the star ground with ONE cable? (doesnt seem very "equi-potential" in this case, but a lot more practical ... i envision a machine that is more cabling than cnc, with every bolt and extrusion connected independently to the star point...)

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

In most cases you don't need to earth the frame. That would be overkill. Spindle and Dust hose are the big sources of EMI. Earth those two and you are very unlikely to have any issues. See docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]