Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Engraver Bits

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Colin Mccourt, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Just a newbie question on engraver bits and its probably self explanatory but I just like to be sure. I see from the shop and Ooznest (UK) in particular they offer engraver bits with varying angles (I presumably will be getting a straight 90 degree one with the starter end mill kit) is this just a plain and simple pocket lettering bit.
    What difference to say the lettering does the 30 and 60 degrees mills make (will they offer a V cut style edge to the script...Again all this from a complete newbie, but keen to learn a new skill....Please advise (and maybe include some images to denote the differences)
    Much obliged
    Regards
    C

2. Dmhaes

Dmhaes New
    Builder

30, 60, and 90 are all v bits. We’re still new to this whole thing, but so far the 60 degree v bit gets used the most. There are some videos floating around on YouTube explaining what v carving is and how it works. Not all software offers v carving though, so if it’s something you want to be able to do, make sure your software supports it.

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  3. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Thank you @Dmhaes for your reply, just wanted to be sure.
    Yes handwriting, signage and script pieces will be my main goal eventually and learning VCarve software will certainly be on the agenda as I get more competent with the machine. I will only have Cut2D initially to play with but an upgrade will surely on the cards at some point in time.