Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

EMI interference

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Phil_Caswell, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Phil_Caswell

Builder

This will probably seem like a dumb question to all you experts out there but I could really use some ideas.
    I have nearly completed my home build cnc using the X32 black box and interface (immensely proud of myself because I doubted I could do it because my electronic knowledge is very limited)
    While I still have tidying up on it to do it works great and has made some bits and pieces. It uses one of the 500w brushless spindles and is controlled via the 0-10v output.

The problem is that I also have 2 SainSmart machines. 1 is currently running a 0.8kw vfd spindle. Today I fitted a 1.5kw vfd to the other one.
    As soon as I turn this spindle on then my home build machine stops giving a bad G code alarm.
    My question is how can I stop this?
    Everything is sheilded and ground.
    Will the clip on filters help?
    If so do I clip them to the VFD cable or the power cable?
    Maybe the input to the X32 box and interface cable?

What I don't understand is how the one does not interfere but the new one does?
    Both are the same setup

Any help or ideas welcome
    Phil

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Checkout docs:blackbox-x32:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

With VFDs properly earthing the VFD and shielded cable between VFD and Spindle are the easier things to get done. Spacing the VFD away from low voltage cabling too. Swing arm to seperate spindle cable. Etc

Different brand? Different wiring? Cheaper VFD with less mains filtering? Cables routed differently (more nearby low voltage cabling)? New one doesn't use shielded cable but other machine does?

3. Phil_Caswell

Builder

4. Phil_Caswell

Builder

The Vfd and cables are the same brand but the spindle itself is a different brand. The VFD is mounted high on the wall and the cable to the spindle comes from above well away from any other cables.
    It's all wired in the same as the original one and that does not cause the issue.
    I'm going to try swapping them around but it won't be until next weekend.
    It also only seems to be the X32 that's affected the 2 SainSmart machines both run fine.

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Check that your new spindle really does have a connection between pin 4 and the spindle case (cheap chinese ones often don't)
    One thing that might help (if it's possible) would be to plug the VFD's into a separate circuit from everthing else.

Alex.