Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

emergency stop wiring

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by stuart wallace, Sep 18, 2020.

1. stuart wallace

Builder

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

We recommend you have your Emergency Stop cut POWER (merely pausing the movements of a machine is not a good strategy in an emergency) to everything: router, controller, etc - wired before the power strip where you plug everything in

For example: Don't catch on fire :) - also known as "what happens when you leave CNC unattended" [pics] is how i know and why for years I have stood by the statement that an emergency stop should cut power to Everything! What if the PSU catches on fire, or the power strip catches fire, or the computer becomes self aware (; or the dust inside the vacuum catches fire from a smoldering piece of chip - you really want the E-Stop to KILL POWER to EVERYTHING at once. The DOOR input will just pause motion, not stop the other emergencies

3. stuart wallace

Builder

Ok roger, thanks a ton. Fire bad. Do you have something like 'idiots guide for making an emergency stop that cuts power to everything?' Is it a matter of buying that same type of emergency stop button thing but wiring it up differently? Many thanks.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Best to call in an electrician!

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

If you know very little about electricity do as Peter said and hire an electrician (or keep reading to the end). But basically it is a big normally closed button you can slap that cuts power to everything. You need a E-stop switch that can handle your voltage and amperage and it needs to go in-line with the power coming into your machine ahead of all the electronics. You hit the big button and the switch is opened and all power is cut to the machine.

If you want an easy solution that can actually handle 15 amps which is most U.S. circuits, get this one from Rockler. It is plug and play. You plug it into the wall, plug the machine into it, and you have an e-stop. Much cheaper than an electrician. Those cheap estops from Amazon are only rated for 10 amps. It probably would not be a problem, but for $29 you are getting a much higher quality product that is already wired for you. An electrician is probably $50-$150 an hour. I am actually thinking of getting one myself now that I found it today. I like that it has the E-stop and a power button all in one!
    [​IMG]

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

Sweet, finally an off the shelf solution

Giarc likes this.
  7. WOPR73

WOPR73 New
    Builder

Giarc and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  8. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I used a similar one, but I had to provide my own cord and wire it myself. I like it, but that Kreq is a good choice and you get more outlets.
    upload_2021-1-7_23-8-55.png

WOPR73 likes this.
  9. Lea23

Lea23 New
    Builder

I've assembled my own NVR {No Volt Release Switch} from a 240v AC relay complete with a start/stop button with separate emergency stop that cuts ALL power to my Workbee 1510 and the dewalt spindle, the circuit for this is very easy I got the switches from Amazon and already had a high power relay 240vac {UK} kicking around. I've only just build my Workbee 1510 over the Christmas period, I'm yet to test it!! all I've done so far is jog the machine and homed it. I've also added an SSR for the spindle control. I'm thinking of adding a second E/S on the front of the table or even fixed to the floor. DSC_0004~2.JPG

WOPR73 and sharmstr like this.
  10. Peter Van Der Walt

SSRs are not suitable for high current inductive loads like Routers. Also, they have dangerously high leakage current. SSRs are meant for resistive loads only (heaters, lights)

11. Lea23

Lea23 New
    Builder

Looks like I'll be replacing it with an EMR then, I've had these SSR's kicking around for years. Thanks for the advance.

sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  12. jda70az

jda70az Well-Known
    Builder

Jbaero jbaero and WOPR73 like this.
  13. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

That should work just fine.

jda70az and sharmstr like this.