Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Easy Z mod for Lead Machine to get extra inch of clearance

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Matthew Stevens, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Matthew Stevens

Builder

I'm sure this has been done before. I didn't search it but just wanted to share what I did. I found myself in a situation where I didn't have enough travel in Z for the stock I was using on the lead machine. After I determined that adjusting the router mounting bracket wouldn't give me the clearance I needed for the very long .25 in., 2 flute endmill I was using, I started looking at the possibility of minor modification to the Z height bracket design. Doing this procedure squeezes an additional .9 inches to your Z height without the need to purchase the Z height extender kit. Looking at the construction of the mod, you don't loose any rigidity in the setup.

Simply remove the upper bracket on both sides, loosen the remaining screws enough to raise the apparatus, re position the bracket 90 degrees , and add some .75 aluminum square stock so you can re attach the top plate. I had to drill mine open to accept a beefier screw but it works.

Just make sure everything is level and even end to end. 20200626_164412.jpg 20200626_164359.jpg 20200626_163313.jpg 20200626_163321.jpg Message_1593197005678.jpg

JustinTime likes this.