Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Eager to learn but getting frustrated

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by JerryG, Apr 16, 2020.

1. JerryG

JerryG New
    Builder

Help!! I am a complete newbie and I am having problems. I'll keep this as short as possible. I am running a Lead 1010 with a Dewalt 611 on an old Windows 7 computer. First, I am not sure if the problem is the Blackbox, the PSU, my computer or (most likely) me. If I start out with the computer on and then switch on the Blackbox or the controller the computer immediately shuts down and I need to reboot. This problem has just come up as I had been testing the whole set-up with no problems. Second, when I first open Openbuilds Control it does not recognize my USB ports and I must unplug and replug the controller USB often makiong the computer shut down. Third, I was ready to do my first project (a gift plaque) so I test carved on a piece of pine and it ran perfectly. Thinking I was ready to carve the final product I tried again on a piece of oak and the job stopped about 10 seconds into the carve and I was not able to restart the carve or salvage the piece of wood.

I am eager to learn but getting frustrated. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

- Start by disconnecting all the wiring from the blackbox (motors, limits, power, everything) keeping ONLY the USB cable connected
    - Connect USB to the PC - does it enumerate on first try now?
    - Connect to it with CONTROL and see if you can access Grbl Settings, do some pretend Jogs? Do they work (numbers change in DRO)

Usually when odd things like that happen its wiring mistakes. So by unplugging everything and testing PC and BlackBox on its own, allows you to see if that's the issue or not

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Oh and which PSU do you have?

4. JerryG

JerryG New
    Builder

Mean well LRS-350-24

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

Good! Solid choice, unlikely to be a part of the problem directly.

Let me know know you make out with the other test

6. JerryG

JerryG New
    Builder

Disconnected everthing except the blackbox; restarted control and tried to connect but now am getting "PORT ERROR: Opening COM3: Access denied"

7. Peter Van Der Walt

That means Windows has the port occupied, a reboot will clear that up

8. JerryG

JerryG New
    Builder

Peter, thought I replied but I don't see it here so . . . Unplugged everthing but the USB, restarted control and now am getting "PORT ERROR: Opening COM3: Access denied"

9. Peter Van Der Walt

You did reply, I see it and I replied. Just scroll up

10. JerryG

JerryG New
    Builder

As soon as I re-replied I saw your response. Re-booted as you suggested and Control recognized the port and connected. Trial jogs worked. Next step?

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Next, check power supply wiring very closely and connect that next. Compare to OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation
    After adding any new peripheral, repeat the same test (can still connect, can still jog)

Bring accesories online in this order (same as above, check wiring before connecting, connect, do test) And dont forget, NEVER connect anything with power ON. Power off before connecting anything
    1) PSU: OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation
    2) Motors: OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation (by this step you'll be able to jog machine around
    3) Limits OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation or OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation depending on which switches you have (very likely one to short out 5v rail if wired wrong)
    4) What else did you want to hookup? Do next, same pattern

Semper Why and JerryG like this.