Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Dual z-axis stepper motors

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Howard Auzston, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Howard Auzston

Builder

Hello all,
    I am trying to see if the black box motion controller will power and run (2) z-axis stepper motors!!
    I recently did the high z-mod to my lead 1515 and noticed that there is a lot more flex on the x and y axis. I want to attach the spindle to the x carriage and move the z-axis c beam out to one corner and add another z-axis c beam assembly to the opposite corner. The vertical c beams on the ends can be attached to the existing risers and the x axis c beams can be attached to the z axis carriage. This should make the whole assembly extremely strong.
    The only issue is the black box controller being able to power (2) z axis stepper motors?
    I would greatly appreciate everyone’s input on this build idea.
    Thanks

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes and no. You have 4 amps to work with and the regular NEMA 23s are 2.8 amps so at best you'll get 2 amps out of each. Probably be sufficient to lift the Z-axis for what little motion the Z-axis moves. Won't know till you try. You could also reduce the vertical screws to TR8x2 which will greatly increase your chances of success.

As for what you're suggesting on the re-framing, the only reason you'll get an improvement is because you're bringing the framing back down to where it ought to be in the first place. The lower the beams, the stiffer the system. Simple leverage. The connections you're switching to though offer less stiffness than what you already have so once you get the Z-axis way back up in the sky you'll be worse off.