Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Drewtronics Touch Probe

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by UltiBots, Feb 13, 2021.

1. UltiBots

UltiBots Well-Known
    Builder

Hi All... I am so impressed with the #Drewtronics touch probe and the #OpenBuilds Control hardware and software that I needed to share. Getting both running was without issue. The OpenBuilds Blackbox Motion Control System running #GRBL was easy to install and their documentation SUPER. I phoned Drewtronics and spoke directly with Drew who helped me verify wiring and probe functions.

My homemade Benchtop CNC router has evolved from the original OpenBuilds C Beam kit. I used it to cut aluminum plates to accept the aluminum tee-slot bed. Thanks Mark, Kyo, Ronald Van Arkel, and Peter van der Walt for your inspiration!

Recently I upgraded the linear motion with Hiwin MGN15 rails. This has provided more precision and rigidity. Soon I will upgrade my CNC with a SaundersMachineWorks custom fixture plate so I can utilize their Mod Vise fixturing system.

Below are 6 consecutive probing results from the hole center Javascript routine mentioned in this video. Impressive!!!

Probed dimension X: 16.259
    Probed dimension Y: 16.273
    Probed dimension Y: 16.299
    Probed dimension X: 16.264
    Probed dimension Y: 16.278
    Probed dimension Y: 16.283

Check out my custom Freestyle frame the RoostOne
    Facebook Groups
    BRadFPV/RoostOne

Drewtronics s5000LED CNC probe... link to product 530-864-2294

#1 UltiBots, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    David the swarfer likes this.
  2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Definitely recommend the SMW system, works great. Probe looks good, I'm gonna build one of those at some point here, maybe when I get automated toolchanging. At under $200, that one's a pretty good price though. Seems accurate enough, too.

UltiBots likes this.
  3. Kristoffer Lippert

Builder

Wow - looks like a great Probe and very good price point. Do you know if anybody import them in europe?
    Also I'm using a fixture and i wish to add a probe - and keep my touchplate. is there any easy solution to that, or do i just need to live with plugging and unpluggin and resetting things?

4. UltiBots

UltiBots Well-Known
    Builder

I'd reach out to Drew [email protected] :)

Kristoffer Lippert likes this.