Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Dreaded EMI issue

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by BeeAMaker, Feb 5, 2024.

1. BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker Well-Known
    Builder

I have suddenly encountered what I believe to be a Static EMI issue.

I have been running my 1010 with the same setup w/dust collection for over 2 years now with no issues. The past few days I have been getting the Hard limit switch error with nothing touching the switches.
    The only change I made was this past summer I added a Oneida Low profile Seperator to the collection. It did over a hundred cuts, no issues.

So, things I know:
    1. The error occurs while the ER11 is under load. Majority of the time the error occurs on the 3rd run. usually stopping two thirds into the project. Not always the exact same spot but in the general area. Restarting the machine I will get 1 or 2 good runs, then usually the error again on the 3rd run. After doing some research on these forums I changed the bushings in the ER11. Picture attached shows the old ones. Is it normal for one bushing to be worn 50% more than the other? - However that didn't correct the problem.

2. It seems to be more problematic if the shop is less than 50 degrees. Warming the shop above 60 makes it happen less, but the issues is still there. I am assuming the cooler dryer air is causing a greater static build up.

3. I unplugged each hard limit one at a time, problem still persists so I don't believe it is a bad switch.

4. Because the only change I made is adding the Oneida dust Seperator, I am wondering if that is causing the interference. How can I ground an all-plastic bucket? I'm thinking of running aluminum tape inside the bucket - over the lip and down the outside so I can attach a ground wire.

Other suggestions?

Can one of the stepper motors cause this error?

What about resistance on the threaded rods? Just prior to this issues I was having some weird movement issues. After lubing the rods with a dry lube, those issues seamed to have gone away. But every now and then I will get some weird sounds from certain movements, usually when both X and Y are moving at the same time. Is the Dry Lithium inducing static?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Brush replacement due. Excessive sparking creates EMI, particularly under load, when the brushes are worn

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

just run a bare copper wire from the tip of the hose, through the seperator, to the vacuum, and ground it there, INSIDE the vacuum pipes.
    it is only connected to ground at the vacuum end, NOT at the router end (think lightening rod, pointy end at top of steeple connected to nothing, other end grounded).

Alex Chambers likes this.
  4. BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker Well-Known
    Builder

As stated, already replaced with no change. But what I am more curious about is why one brush in worn 50% more than the other. Is one side of the router shaft taking more load than the other? Slightly bent shaft? Or is this normal

5. BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker Well-Known
    Builder

I'll give that a try.