Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Drag Knife holder

Discussion in 'Share Parts' started by Alex Chambers, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I needed the ability to cut card and self-adhesive vinyl with a knife, so I got one of these -

Drag knife 3a.jpg

£5.62 on E-bay with 15 knives.

Then I needed a holder to attach it to the Z axis. I 3D printed this one to try the idea. It worked successfully but I wasn't sure the thread for the grub screw to hold the knife holder would last so I decided to make an aluminium one.

Knife holder 3 v1.png
    Drag knife 2.JPG Drag knife 3.JPG

Standard unmodified Ooznest workbee, Makita (actually a Chinese clone), cheap (less than £1 each) router bits, speed 10K rpm, feed 500 mm/min, doc 0.2 mm, finishing path 0.05 mm. This is a bracket to hold a Roland plotter knife holder. I needed to drill and tap a hole for a grubscrew to hold the knife holder which I did in the pillar drill - because of the adjustment on the top of the knife holder it has to go in from above - a plotter pen could go in from below and wouldn't need the grub screw. For a first complete job in aluminium I'm satisfied with the results - not quite the quality I've achieved in the past on a manual milling machine, but fairly good considering the limitations of the workbee/router combination.

As this was my first serious attempt cutting aluminium I decided to use some really cheap (router - single and two flute straight) bits and they worked very well. Cutting the rebates with a 1/8" single flute bit the bit didn't even get warm. Cutting the two 5.25mm holes was more of a problem - it was really difficult to clear the chips and the bit overheated on the second hole and snapped - just as it finished the hole! The 11.7mm hole for the knife holder was cut with a 2 flute 1/4" bit and again it hardly got warm. Will post the files if anyone really wants them but it's a pretty straightforward cad job. I've now given away the 3D printed version to someone who is using it as a pen holder. The aluminium block fixes to the Z axis C-beam underneath the router mount and can be left in place if the knife holder itself is taken out.
    Alex.

#1 Alex Chambers, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Nice! When you get a chance, can we see where it attaches. I bought one of those awhile back and have never got around to mounting it.

3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

As requested, pic of it in situ.

DSC_0555.JPG

Now I just need to work out a way to hold card and self adhesive vinyl down flat.

Alex.

#3 Alex Chambers, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

hold it flat.... put some MDF on the table, mill some slots in the bottom.
    turn it over
    mill a quarter of it away.
    attach vacuum to the slots. it will hold itself down and hold the paper on top, you just need to make sure that all of the surface is covered, no leaks.

Alex Chambers likes this.