Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Door Open / Feed Hold Behavior

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by brrian, Apr 18, 2020.

1. JStewieDesigns

Builder

You think that because I was using Visual Studio, basic Notepad, and basic WordPad that it could have been my issue? I was trying to just start fresh on this Sparkfun red board (arduino uno clone) but I'm not familiar with how to wipe it clean and start over. I was able to connect to it in the OB control and flash over your firmware no problem. And as I said before if I upload an untouched grbl.h over to it in the Arduino IDE it uploads fine other than I think was an error message in regards to memory capacity I think it was. But as soon as I tried uncommenting line 564 by removing the // and saving it that's when it wouldn't work. I like that the folks at github suggested trying on an arduino first rather than me messing with the BB. Thinking about ordering a brand new fresh Arduino Nano that they suggested.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I'll check when I get work later. I'll compile and test upload to a BlackBox

JStewieDesigns likes this.
  3. JStewieDesigns

Builder

Appreciate it man. Really do.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Right so what settings do you need:

Switch wired normally open or normally closed? (does it close or open the contacts when the door opens)
    Do you have Limit switches and Homing enabled? If so, Z limit at the top, and shall we park at G53 Z-10 (Z0 would hit the switch, we want to park somewhere below it)
    How heavy is your spindle, what are you running, or more importantly, what's safe Z speeds on your machine?
    How many seconds does your spindle take to come up to speed?

5. JStewieDesigns

Builder

So previously I used N.O. for my door switch (button). I have the NPN SN04-N switches installed. Homing is front left corner. Park Z at -10mm sounds good. Spindle is a 1.5kw so about 8-10lbs (it's ball screw driven so I don't think weight would be an issue). Machine is capable of speeds up to about 300 ipm (7620 mm/mm) from what I've found so far, but safe speed maybe half that. Spindle accel and decel I've adjusted to 1 second accel and about 2 second decel using a dynamic break resistor to help get a faster decel.

6. JStewieDesigns

Builder

7. Peter Van Der Walt

OK, so settings will probably be

#define ENABLE_SAFETY_DOOR_INPUT_PIN // Default disabled. Uncomment to enable.
    #define SAFETY_DOOR_SPINDLE_DELAY 2.0 // Float (seconds)
    #define SAFETY_DOOR_COOLANT_DELAY 1.0 // Float (seconds)
    // #define INVERT_CONTROL_PIN_MASK ((1<<CONTROL_SAFETY_DOOR_BIT)|(1<<CONTROL_RESET_BIT)) // Default disabled = normally open so leaving commented out
    #define PARKING_ENABLE

#define PARKING_AXIS Z_AXIS // Define which axis that performs the parking motion
    #define PARKING_TARGET -10.0 // Parking axis target. In mm, as machine coordinate [-max_travel,0].
    #define PARKING_RATE 3000.0 // Parking fast rate after pull-out in mm/min.
    #define PARKING_PULLOUT_RATE 1000.0 // Pull-out/plunge slow feed rate in mm/min.
    #define PARKING_PULLOUT_INCREMENT 5.0 // Spindle pull-out and plunge distance in mm. Incremental distance.

Now please stand by, I got to wire some limit switches to my MiniMill so I can test that for you before giving you the Binary

8. JStewieDesigns

Builder

I won't be able to try much until I get home so no rush buddy. I really do appreciate this.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Firmware done, compiles and flashes without any issues.

Attached. Flash using CONTROL > Firmware Flashing tool

upload_2021-1-27_16-15-50.png

But... before you can really use it I got to revisit this old bug Door not resuming · Issue #127 · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL - seems to have come back as CONTROL doesn't enable the Resume button when the door closes

Attached Files:

10. Peter Van Der Walt

CONTROL bug fixed: V1.0.276 will be available in a couple minutes via online update or software.openbuilds.com

- Note GRBL will not automatically resume the job when you close the door - it is a safety feature. It only allows the software, to send the Resume command - so after closing the Door, you have to click RESUME in CONTROL as well. This extra check is to involve the human in ensuring the door did not just swing closed by itself or you forgot a wrench on the stock for example.
    - v1.0.276 also adds nice door statuses in the bottom status bar:

upload_2021-1-27_20-20-43.png

11. JStewieDesigns

Builder

I can't wait to give it a shot. Yeah that pretty much what I assumed and how it worked for me in the past. Close the normally open contacts for (DOOR OPEN) , program pauses, spindle shuts down, Z axis raises. When I open the contacts that's when it'll allow me to even hit resume because it would shade it out and wouldn't even be selectable if the (DOOR OPEN) switch was still closed.

12. JStewieDesigns

Builder

So all I should need to do is download that file and upload it as a custom firmware image?

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes, using the built-in tool.

Usual caveats apply, don't unplug while its running, don't loose power, don't interrupt the flashing process, don't click Reset etc - or you may corrupt the bootloader. But other than that, tested and working, I flashed it using CONTROL 1.0.276's wizards just like you would

14. JStewieDesigns

Builder

Alright so I hooked the BB up to my machine and I've flashed over the hex file you provided. Everything works as far as (close the door contacts) job PAUSES and TOOL turns off and won't resume until I (open the door contacts) and physically press resume. The only thing it's NOT doing is raising and parking Z at -10mm from the original homed location if I'm wording that correctly. It actually doesn't raise Z at all. Just turns the spindle (tool) off and stays right where it's at. And when I hit resume it actually IMMEDIATELY continues the job to the point where the spindle even set at 1 second acceleration would probably cause an issue. But that's only because the Z axis hasn't raised up out of the way in order for the spindle to have time to ramp up.

#44 JStewieDesigns, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  15. Peter Van Der Walt

16. JStewieDesigns

Builder

Well, what I was doing was just a test wasteboard flattening that ya'll have built in to the control software. I set up a 100mm x 100mm area to flatten, zeroed my XYZ just above my table, and hit play. While it was doing it's thing I put a little jumper into the DOOR pin connector to simulate a DOOR OPEN situation. Job pauses, tool turned off, Z stayed exactly where it was.

17. JStewieDesigns

Builder

Interesting. It's working now. Not sure what I did, but it's working properly now.

sharmstr likes this.
  18. JStewieDesigns

Builder

Hey @Peter Van Der Walt. So as far as this custom firmware you created for me which thank you again by the way. How often do ya'll have firmware updates and if I was to update would I lose any of the changes you made for me? I kinda would love to know how you made the changes and how you saved it out to a .hex file. Or maybe that's something way over my head.

19. Peter Van Der Walt

Grbl updates are few and far between.

How I did it, exactly as described earlier in the thread.

sharmstr likes this.
  20. JStewieDesigns

Builder

PETER. Sorry to bother you man, but I finally got around to getting everything all hooked up and testing everything. Well, back when we last talked I had the BB temporarily hook up to test the door open / feed hold behavior where it stops the spindle (M5) and raises the Z to -10mm from machine coord Z0 (Z home - parking mode). For some reason now that I got everything hooked up it's not doing that. I initiates a feed hold, but just turns the spindle off and the Z axis doesn't raise up.

21. Peter Van Der Walt

Homing not setup correctly? It raises to machine coordinates. Or incorrect firmware flashed onto it

22. JStewieDesigns

Builder

So after writing my last message I reset EVERYTHING, reflashed the firmware you made me and it's now working again. I don't understand it, but so far it's seems to be working now.

23. Baroudeur

Baroudeur New
    Builder

Hail
    Trying to install this hex using the Firmware Flashing Tool, but console say 'Port disconnected'
    When i reconnect, i still have unchanged firmware working.
    My version of Openbuilds Control is 1.0.332
    Something i missed ?

24. Peter Van Der Walt

25. Peter Van Der Walt

Fixed in V1.0.335 - to be released very soon (in internal testing at the moment)

26. Baroudeur

Baroudeur New
    Builder

This is a very good news Peter !
    I am making some videos on my channel @jjhontebeyrie and i will be able to present some more connexions with Blackbox.
    And why not a 'Check Size' into the Menu button on Interface ?

27. Peter Van Der Walt

Microcontroller unable to parse large gcode file and calculate extents of a job - would take a long time to run through the file line by line to do that

28. Baroudeur

Baroudeur New
    Builder

Any delay Peter ?

29. Peter Van Der Walt

No expected delays - should be out sometime this week right on schedule

30. Peter Van Der Walt