Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Different Pattern in SketchUcam Pocket Tool?

Discussion in 'CAD' started by JustinTime, Jul 23, 2023.

1. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

David, I got a drag engraver bit and I wanted to generate the 'cutting' lines and used the pocket tool. It worked but I needed a long time to repair all the inconsistencies that were generated even when using the End key to switch between the Zig Zag directions. Still, the results were not quite as good, on the part that I ended 'cutting'. I had, then, the idea to use the offset tool to generate the lines. It took me less time to do it than it took me to repair the Zig Zags. I used the Center Line tool to generate the cutting lines.

You can see in the picture the extra lines, on the left, needed to accommodate the Pocket tool which are not needed in the offset tool

My question is how difficult will it be to add that option to the Pocket tool?

Untitled.png

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hiya
    the advanced FLOOD mode of the pocket tool can deal with island inclusions, did you try that?
    press the HOME key to activate, then you need to add the outlines and zigzags separately using the shift/ctrl keys.

3. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I was not aware of the Flood mode, I've tried it but that didn't work either. It works only where I can make the outlines. The rings and the chain in the picture needs to be cut into sections for it to work, with the offset tool is doesn't. The wheels outer radius is only 8mm.
    You can see which parts did work. It did do a good job on some parts, thought. I didn't have to sectioned some part off as I had to do in the first picture.
    Untitled.png

#3 JustinTime, Jul 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

please send me your sketchup file
    and tell me what spacing you are aiming for and so on so I can replicate what you are trying to do.

5. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I use 0.3mm for the bit diameter but the sectioning of parts is also true to bigger bits. It was you who recommended it years ago (I think it was in the Phlat Printer forum) and it works fine if you do pockets with a router bit but with the drag engraver is shows each section as a distinct part when it's not wanted.

Attached Files: