Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Dewalt Router Carbon Brushes

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Justin Hamilton, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Justin Hamilton

Builder

Hello, I am currently using a dewalt router but the carbon brushes keep going on it for my lengthly cuts. Is there something I can do to prevent this other then pausing it during cuts or just break down and spend the money on a proper router. What do people recommend ?

#1 Justin Hamilton, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  2. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

The "bushings"? Do you mean the carbon brushes? If so....

I've never owned a De Walt product so can't comment. For me, it's a Makita and, as it happens, I just checked my brushes last week and they had about about 50% wear after 2 years. The important thing with brush type routers is to never overload them - if they are pushed too hard, the current will ramp up and cause premature wear of the carbons and could also damage the commutator.

3. Justin Hamilton

Builder

Yes sorry I meant the carbon brushes. I have made two lengthily cuts 12 hours and 9 hours and the carbon brushes are done. I ordered a spindle router today so hopefully that solves my issues. Thank you for your reply.

4. Torin3

Torin3 Well-Known
    Builder

Dewalt brushes should be changed every 100 hours runtime according to the owner's manual. However on my first DWP 611, the brushes wore out between 20 and 40 hours of runtime. The bearing went out on that router in less than 100 hours as well (went out as in 0.015" of runout).

I would check the runout on your router, and if it is bad, that may be wearing out your brushes prematurely.

CNC_whittler likes this.