Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Design spoiler board for off the shelf clamps

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by maxhill, Oct 6, 2019.

1. maxhill

maxhill New
    Builder

Hi

I’ve been searching in forums for hold down clamps and spoiler board and as far as I can tell there is a lot of reliance on printing / milling parts.

Personally I’d like to take the approach of buying off the shelves clamps and make the spoiler board fit them. Mainly because I don’t own a printer, don’t have the time to take up another learning curve and just want to get to cutting for my projects.

One idea was that since I already own quite a few low profile 20mm dogs and nifty clamps that fit in dog holes of my festool MFT table. I could just cut 20mm holes in my spoiler board and use those. How do you cut very accurate 20mm holes actually? What bits to I use? First drill , then end mill? Very much beginner here :)

Any other simpler systems / resources I should be looking at?

Thanks!

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Cut them with your CNC when it is done. But to make the holes accurate, make sure the CNC is calibrated and measure the diameter of your endmill. Endmills are rarely accurate in their dimensions. Most 1/4 inch I have are slightly smaller in diameter. You must enter the true diameter in your CAM software to get holes cut to the exact dimensions. Also do a roughing tool path then a finishing tool path.