Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Depaneling of circuit boards

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by alepiedi, Dec 16, 2019.

1. alepiedi

alepiedi New
    Builder

Hi,
    sorry for my bad English. I have to realize a machine that cuts aluminium PCB through "V-cut".
    I thought to realize it like "OX – CNC" one so axes x and y, the first about 200cm (because the panel is about 150cm) and the second 30-40cm. X axis has to move and on it there must be a rotary shaft with blades. So the rotary shaft has to rotate by motor.
    This is the photo about PCB to cut (the machine will cut every PCB) for a reference.
    Strisce.jpeg
    do you think is easily achievable? Can you help me?

Thanks a lot

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The X-axis length you seek may give you problems with accuracy. I would suggest making the machine much shorter and cutting the board in sections. You will also get better results using a screw drive system like the LEAD Machine.

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

run the long axis on Y, the one with 2 rails, keep X short, the one with a single rail.

in fact it is possible to 'rotate the machine' 90 degrees and connect the 2 rails as X and the single rail as Y. so long as the rule for tool motion is observed you can rotate the machine any way you like,.

if you can do a drawing of what you are thinking of, it will be easier to help you more.

4. alepiedi

alepiedi New
    Builder

In attached the machine I have to realize.
    To do.jpg
    I can't do X axis less than 180cm but I think this isn't the problem.
    The problem is to realize rotary shaft and to block it on rails.
    What do you think? Do you have ideas?

5. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

This seems like an ideal project for a conveyor system, not a CNC machine. A simple rubber feed drum, some UHMW guides, circular saw blades, etc. Done. If the PCB is always going to be a similar format, and the only configuration you'd ever need to do is to adjust the saw cut widths, there's no real reason to add all the complexity of a CNC system.

If you were to attempt a one-axis CNC mill, I'd go with rack and pinion here. It's the cheapest option that gives you sufficient length whilst maintaining accuracy and rigidity, unless you have access to existing CNC machining centers that would let you build some rotating-nut mounts.

David the swarfer likes this.
  6. alepiedi

alepiedi New
    Builder

I don't want to realize a CNC machine, I just want to make to best machine to cut aluminium PCB. Can you help me with a drawing about your idea and about components?
    I have blades but on Internet I find only rotary shaft less than 25mm that are too small.

7. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Real quick sketch in Apple Notes. Simple, rugged, minimal programming/simple control.

94FE9642-95CD-43F0-B5AB-AA6ECE623AD7.png

8. alepiedi

alepiedi New
    Builder

Yes, the idea is this, even the simplest to make but considering that PCB is about 150cm the machine will be more than 300cm.
    So, if it's possible to realize a movable rotary shaft in max 200 cm it would be better.
    Do you think is possible to realize your idea but with a movable rotary shaft?
    Thank you

9. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

There's no reason to have a machine longer than about 50cm. Just as a planer can plane lumber many metres long.

10. alepiedi

alepiedi New
    Builder

The reason is that PCB must never flex so before and after cut there must be rollers or something else of 150cm each to not flex them.
    The big problem is it so the machine would become more than 300cm instead.

11. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

In that case you just need a set of rollers or a take-off table on the outfeed side.
    Alex.

12. alepiedi

alepiedi New
    Builder

Certainly but the problem remains the same.
    But if you tell me that the only way to go is this it will mean that I will have to act in this way.
    Thank you

13. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Yeah, a set of expanding portable feed roller conveyors doesn't seem like a huge deal:

conveyor.jpg

But if the space is non-negotiable, you're going to be stuck with a single-axis CNC "power feed" machine, inherently limited to what dimensions it can process, more complex, more expensive.

Since you're doing this commercially, why not just rent a space it can be done in? You're gonna need the expansion room at some point anyway.

A 1500mm *operating range* machine is going to be... Interesting. 1500mm material gives you an actual range of motion of somewhere around 1100-1200mm, typically, when all's said and done. Even if you screwed directly to a tabletop with no end supports, you'd be looking at a maximum of 1400mm, since you'd need at least a 100mm carriage for the gantry columns.

So you really need to find 1800mm rail if you can. Chain drive could be another alternative to rack and pinion. If you tension it right, it should work just as well as belt but at very large lengths. Could even do continuous loops not even connected to the rails, just mounted to the table at each ends. Personally I'd go rack and pinion though.

Alex Chambers likes this.
  14. alepiedi

alepiedi New
    Builder

This project is for my graduation thesis and I realize the machine for a company that gave me this opportunity.
    My initial idea was to realize a machine like this:
    Realizzazione n.2.png
    But the company told me the problem about dimensions (more than 3 meters) so I thought about the machine I told you.
    I realize the difficulty in realizing that type of machine so insert in the final part a portable feed roller conveyors could be a great solution.
    In the initial part the ideal would be to create something like this with some UHMW guides to keep stable and in correct position PCB and at the same time motorized to bring it in the cutting phase.
    Right?

15. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Yes, precisely.

I suppose, since it is a university project, bringing them both options and designing around limitations gives you something more to write up in your final report.

Either way will work, but the conveyor feed is a) faster/more productive, b) allows for simultaneous loading and unloading by two operators, c) could spit the cut boards directly onto a rolling cart, where they can be moved to another work area for assembly, d) is the all-around better choice for lean production.

We'll see what they choose, though.

David the swarfer likes this.
  16. alepiedi

alepiedi New
    Builder

I absolutely agree with you.
    In fact, I already presented this project to him and they told me was better something smaller therefore I thought a movable rotary shaft.
    At this point I will tell him that it is hardly feasible and I will present him with the new project with portable feed roller conveyors.
    Thank you!