Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Delta-Six

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Sage, Jan 26, 2014.

1. BalaKrishnan

Builder

how to mount the heat bed?
    do u people use mini V wheels?

2. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

Robert made an adapter plate for us. Yes we use mini V wheels

BalaKrishnan likes this.
  3. BalaKrishnan

Builder

Now I need to print modified carriage n plates to use the solid v wheel which is purchased already.
    Is there any stl file available for the bed mount?

#333 BalaKrishnan, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  4. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

There is a file posted for the full sized wheel carriages. I sliced off the attachment portions to make a flat back plate.

You can mount your bed plate any way you choose, depending on what all you want to do. If you will heat it, FSR it, put a plate under it, knowing how far it is to the horizontal extrusion, etc. are all things that you may want to consider. Once you determine what you want to accomplish, you can look for files to print, design your own, whatever you decide.

When you consider that even the full kit printer builds seldom go unmodified, it gets easier to wrap your head around what you want to do. For example, Our Rostock Max V2 at the Area515 makerspace has a solid mounted heated bed plate, but does have improved joints in the arms, and our newly famous "plastic bag heat chamber", and it stays calibrated and is just a work horse printer. It can be as simple or complicated as you desire.

If you can't find the full sized wheel carriage files, let me know and I will find them and post them. I do think, however they are for magnetic arms.

5. BalaKrishnan

Builder

is it the above one?

6. BalaKrishnan

Builder

I'm planning to use circular glass plate,no heated bed.

7. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Squeak posted these earlier in this thread. I just sliced off the area not needed for the flat back plates. I think the holes are still there to us the traditional rods. Hope this helps

Attached Files:

8. BalaKrishnan

Builder

my V-slot dimensions are 760X340 mm

planning to go 272 mm length arms,is it correct?

#338 BalaKrishnan, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  9. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

I am no expert, but if you are going magnetics, I would probably just order Hadyn's 288mm set. The price is good, and he matches the lengths for the sets.

this would mean that you would lose a very slight amount of Z-height, but it would also mean that you would keep a stronger force angle when printing near the outer limits of the bed. Just an idea. I think he gets $60 for the complete set of rods, ends, and ball studs. Plus it is always nice to support people who are supporting our craft.

10. BalaKrishnan

Builder

I'm going to the non magnetic.

11. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

12. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

BalaKrishnan -- I just uploaded the delta frame calculator, It shows that number to be correct. You can download it here and play with different setting and measurements. It will tell you horizontal and vertical frame lengths print area and required arm length.

Licensed2hench likes this.
  13. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks Kyo, I was late getting out the door, or I would have posted a link. The calculators make some assumptions, but are good for stock calculations.

14. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

No problem, yeah I agree. I have a folder on the desktop with misc. calculator sheets to get base numbers to work with then fine tune from there.

15. tim3802

tim3802 New
    Builder

Is there a full BOM for this printer? I am seriously considering building it as my first scratch printer. Also what heated bed do you guys use?

16. BalaKrishnan

Builder

17. BalaKrishnan

Builder

regarding the screws any M5 screw is used in the vertex? the hole seems to fit M4.

18. lmclaren

lmclaren New
    Builder

I used 5mm screws on mine, I cleaned up all the holes with a 5mm and 3mm drill. The drill did not have much to do, just remove a little "fur"

BalaKrishnan, Kyo and dddman like this.
  19. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Is anyone here actually printing on a Delta-Six, and if so, what size?

20. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

I think a lot of us are close but no one is printing yet. I still need the rods and joints / heat bed and glass. I also still need to order a controller. I will check in with kit I gave away and try to get her to post.

21. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

I was at one inch to print! Everything is wired and the basic delta config for Marlin are in the controller (Rumba)... But it seems that my controller is DOA... :(

22. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

WOW, I might be first? Something must be wrong . I have 2 of them sitting here, a standard sized D6 and the D6+6 with all of the parts for both of them. just not enough time to assemble. Going Volcano on the big boy, just for fun. One of the MuttRaps is going together now, with a 2nd one close behind.

I am getting close to sending out The Bumblebee to a member here. It is a MendelMax like the Pink Panther.

Labor Day is the local Makerfaire, and they want to see the 600x600 Core XY, and I have almost everything to make it happen....except some reinforcing brackets and time.

For those keeping score out in the cheap seats (and who know about my health "issue") the cardiac stress tests came back fine. Thank God for big favors.

23. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

You mean yo Rumba no Rumba? :p I knew you guys would beat me. You always do.

dddman likes this.
  24. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

My motors are now moving! :) But I have to go through the Marlin configurations because the printer act very funny (can't home right). Does anyone have a Delta configured marlin file?

25. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Go to the Delta Google group. Do a search on Rich Cattel's Marlin. It is very popular

Thamli and dddman like this.
  26. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

The beast is now homing right!

27. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

DiggerJ-- Glad to hear your test came back good, Heath is always a priority.. Man you guys run circles around me with with all the projects you have already done / or have ready hahaha makes me fill so slow, and I only have two on going projects currently.

Looking forward to Makerfair as well. I will be attending my first one ( just going to look around and learn not taking anything with me ) in Oct. of this year. They will be coming semi close to me ( about time ) to Wenatchee, WA and the two hour drive each way sounds more then worth it..

Ndddman-- Nice! Now we need video my good man, video. lol

28. tim3802

tim3802 New
    Builder

Does anybody know the amount of belt needed for this printer? Also what heated bed is everyone using? I also saw a BOM in the beginning of this thread and I was wondering why it asked for different screws than the BOM in the official Delta 6 post.

29. Squeak

Squeak New
    Builder

I'm need a smoothieboard controller, a glass bed, mag rods and I still need an effector to suit the full size wheel carriage i am using . Whilst that is one it's way i'm changing the design to have dual vertices on the lower section to allow all the electronics to fit in there.
    Dimensions are 1000mm high and 425mm sides.

30. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

I think I made my sides 440 and used the rest of the 1500mm pieces for the verticals, so I guess that makes them about 1057 with the cut kerf. Getting the melamine cut and ready to route for the base, print platform sub-plate and top plate. Once I have them roughed in, a quick trip through the pattern router and edge bander and I will be ready to load the "vitamins". Going Smoothie on this one. Verticals are amazingly stout in the 100mm base vertices. Couple this with the plexi sides, connected to the sub-plate and top, and I don't see this beast flexing.