Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

DC Motor Connection Qs

Discussion in 'Motors' started by MS Holmquist, Jun 23, 2022.

1. MS Holmquist

Builder

I am trying to connect a DC motor as a drill bit using the BlackBox. I am wondering which pin to use in the 'Toolhead' insert of the BlackBox. I also have reason to believe I might need a motor driver outside of the BlackBox to run this thing.

Which pin to I plug into and do I need a motor driver?

Motor specs here

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes please! The signals out of the BlackBox Toolhead connector are just logic/control signals
    You will need a spindle controller that can accept either a PWM signal or a 0-10v signal, and runs the DC spindle off its own power supply as well (DC motors create a lot of electrical noise)

You may also just want to consider a standard DeWALT DWP611 Compact Router - that tiny DC motor is not going to have any power to any real work

3. MS Holmquist

Builder

I thought so! I have access to a L298N Motor Driver (originally for Arduino), would this work in my favor? Looking into what it can do I think it will work. Comes with PWM abilities and all. What I am confused about is which pins go where?

After a bit of looking, I am assuming I can plug the PWM pin from the BlackBox to pins 4&7 (below) on the L298N. They control speed and ON/OFF. I do have two motors but I am controlling them with the same code.
    I am also assuming I can plug in the pins from 5&6 into the DIR pin in BlackBox.
    upload_2022-6-23_14-20-39.png
    BTW I am getting this info on the Motor Driver here.

I understand, but I don't need much power.

Also, thank you for helping me. I realize I am doing more thinking out loud than asking questions. I appreciate the guidance nonetheless.

#3 MS Holmquist, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

To be honest for completely custom use cases like this, we do want to warn that mistakes here will void your warranty, and we cannot get involved too much as its a bit far of the beaten track

L298 is very 1980s and lacks a lot features like current control etc- there are more modern DC motor controllers: See Pololu - Brushed DC Motor Controllers for some examples and tutorials

The DIR signal is LOW/HIGH depending on the state of M3/M4 (But same state for M5 so not suitable as an Enable)
    The PWM pin is a 5V PWM signal and the PWM Duty cycle changes from 0-100% depending on the S value in the GCODE.

5. MS Holmquist

Builder

Makes sense. Thanks for your help!

6. MS Holmquist

Builder

I am back to this question. How do I use a L298N motor driver to run a DC bit using the Blackbox? I am assuming it's as easy as a plug and play, but can't seem to get much feedback from the DC motor. If this objective is not possible and I need to search for a different motor driver, I am willing to do that.

7. Peter Van Der Walt