Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Cut out bit

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Bug Report' started by Rodger Dodger, Sep 16, 2022.

1. Rodger Dodger

Builder

I have a LEAD 1515 and I'm a couple months in on having fun. I currently use a 1/8" bit to do my cutouts. I see in a lot of videos where they use 1/4" to do cutouts. I just feel like that creates more dust. I realize I have to go slower with 1/8", but what pro's of 1/4" reasoning would make me change?

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You can cut things out faster in terms of faster feeds and deeper cuts. More rigidity in the tool.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

I have to say that I use mostly 1/8th bits for cutouts although 1/4" is fine too for reasons stated above. I think I may have gone the smaller bit route to cut down on noise? Having said that, I once had a workpiece move during a cut with a 1/4" bit because of the higher lateral forces so maybe that influenced my choice. Higher clamping force needed!

4. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I'm using a 0.8mm 2 flute down-cut to cut 1/16 balsa these days.. I like smaller bits for making tighter corners and less waste. all depends on what you are doing.
    Cheers