Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Cube 3 / Pro hacks

Discussion in '3D printers' started by eychei, Jan 16, 2017.

1. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

1.11 is buggy. Stick with 1.0

2. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

Also how did you guys manage to decrypt the firmware files without an encryption tool. Did it just get easily debugged in mplabx

3. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

Alright thanks for the insight however.

4. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

Do you guys think the Cube 3 matches ultimaker and makerbot in terms of its hardware capabilities?

5. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

From a extruder point of view, I wouldn't say so.

6. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

lol I agree I feel like the only short comings of the nozzles resolution is when it has to extrude single points which makes my prints have blotchy points which detracts from the overall quality of it

7. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

Also why is it so loud the bearings and guide rails seem lubricated I don't understand why it's stopper motors would make so much noise?

8. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

Stepper

9. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

It's because the plastic parts are hollow and play an amplification to all exempts.

10. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

Oh that explains all the rattling lol

11. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

Also sometimes I noticed when I purge the print jets the print plate and extruded head move to the center of their respective axes and "forget" to move back to their resting positions causing intense rattling and stepper motors skipping. Can this mistake In the firmware 3d systems wrote damage the cube3 in any way or not? Also has it occurred to any of you?

12. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

I've seen some beds naked to the bone, u may wanna try that.

13. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

Yeah that skipping thing is familiar to me. Also, I have to manually push the bed backwards before every new print if I don't want cube to print it on the bed edge instead of centered....

14. Tom Dirriwachter

Tom Dirriwachter Well-Known
    Builder

We are also working on a better feeder system. I highly suspect that pre-loading is causing the issue with poor "dot" performance. A couple of simple hacks improve it, but having control over the retraction length would go a long way to "fixing" this oversight by developers.

Jbl and bolsoncerrado like this.
  15. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

That's great what is your teams estimate on a new release that will make the Cube 3 as open source as an ultimaker because I truly believe it's hardware is capable of MUCH MUCH more better resolution prints

16. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

Just slice with any other software and you'll see much improvements....

17. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

Yes but the cube 3 can only read cube 3 files if somebody can kindly post the changes required to make the Gcode provided by a sliced stl with Cura for example and post a screen shot of what lines of code to change to make the cube 3 print it would be greatly appreciated

18. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

19. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

Heeeey bolsencerrado coming through! Ur a g bro!

20. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

If anyone uses cura and figured out how to reencode the files to work with the cube 3 please post the profile that would be a great help to many of us who don't have simplify 3d.

21. Tom Dirriwachter

Builder

Stepper motors are noisy in any application, but add all that resonant plastic parts and loose screws into those plastic parts and you get amplified noise.

22. Razor1000

Razor1000 New
    Builder

Bad news. I was able to successfully connect to the PIC24FJ on the bluetooth module via ICSP, but this one actually has code protection enabled, (unlike the main PIC32, which was unprotected). I believe I could still erase it and program it with my own firmware, but reading out the current firmware is not possible. Bummer!

I also checked the USB device class that it reports, and it's "vendor specific" not serial or HID. That means you can't simply install a generic driver and use it as a regular serial port. (I expected this.)

I did break out the SPI pins as well as the ICSP pins, so I should be able to sniff the SPI traffic and figure some stuff out. (Although it would be much easier if I could just pull the firmware off, but oh well!)

Side note: I broke out the SPI pins for the LCD, also, and I captured the traffic on that bus during startup. I'm hoping that data will help figure out the mrl file format.

bolsoncerrado likes this.
  23. Tom Dirriwachter

Builder

Would it help to have Microsoft download the driver for 3D Builder with the cube plugged into it's USB-B port?
    At least you have an interface definition at that point, right?

I need a new USB adapter for my Windows10 tablet to test this, but I am looking forward to seeing what Microsoft and 3D Systems had up their sleeves.

I suspect this was the "Future use" they referred to.

24. Razor1000

Razor1000 New
    Builder

Using a custom device class doesn't mean someone couldn't talk to it with their app, it just means you have to know how to talk to it beforehand. Conversely, if they had used the serial device class, we could talk to it with any terminal emulator (like putty). Most controller boards use a separate USB serial chip, like an FTDI or Atmel 16u2, that let you connect and send commands to the controller in a very simple, standard way.

If you do find a program that can talk directly to the cube3, it's not too difficult to capture the USB traffic. That way you can figure out what commands the program is sending. And having the SPI pins broken out means I can capture the output data, as well.

Side note: I noticed the Bus Pirate v4 uses a PIC24FJ256GB106 which is pretty **** close to the PIC24FJ32GB002 on the BT module. I wonder how hard it would be to port the firmware from the BPv4 to the smaller PIC? I have a BPv3, and it's an awesome little tool. Having the BPv4 firmware on there would make it very easy to talk to the both the BT controller and the PIC32.

bolsoncerrado likes this.
  25. Tom Dirriwachter

Builder

That's kind of what I was getting at.
    The App is 3D Builder by Microsoft and according to other posts, Microsoft will load the driver if you plug in a Windows 10 PC to Cube 3's USB-B.
    Now you should have traffic to monitor.

3D Builder is another one of those Microsoft proprietary I/O formats. They are trying to make VRML their own I suppose.

26. Tom Dirriwachter

Builder

While we're looking at the internals...
    Anyone figure out the parameters that triggers this notice?
    Some units are extremely sensitive while others rarely see this.
    My 1st white printer did this constantly. My current printer just does this if I screw up.
    Removing a nozzle while the cartridge is plugged in will trigger it once hot.

upload_2017-2-8_11-59-45.png

27. Razor1000

Razor1000 New
    Builder

I would expect this error in that case. The thermistors are connected through a switch that closes when a nozzle is installed. If you remove the nozzle, the temp sensor is no longer physically connected to the board. The controller waits a set time interval for the temp to drop to some threshold, and if it elapses without happening, you get the error. It's kind of a weird way to do it, but this printer is full of strange things like this.

28. Mythandar

Mythandar New
    Builder

Keep an eye on my post here:
    [HOW TO] Use other slicers with cube 3

I have figured out whats needed to get cura to work for the cube. After I've done some test prints I'll update my how to with information on cura.

Jbl likes this.
  29. Jbl

Jbl New
    Builder

Hey guys I just started printing an object a few hours ago and the print head made the purge bin fall over it was even fastened in place why is this?

30. DrDitto

DrDitto New
    Builder

Hi guys I slice a srl with simplyfy3d using the documented method and my cube does not recognoce the recoded cube file as a valid one