Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Crashing, Effects

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by brrian, May 4, 2020.

1. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

I've been meaning to ask this. I'm coming from a belt-driven machine to my screw-driven Workbee. On a belt machine, a crash usually just causes the belt to skip & nothing really bad happens.

What generally happens on a screw machine? The motor stalls but keeps trying until I stop it (kill switch, pause)? And not that I'd let it, but does being in a stall state for any extended length of time damage the motor? I have the high torque motors if that makes a difference.

Anything in particular that's good to know?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Correct

I don't think it will, but the excessive torque will probably end up damaging something else (twisting leadscrew, cracking leadnut, loosing couplers, vibrations, etc)

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

4. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

I did occasionally leave the old machine unattended. I won't with this one... maybe briefly to look out the back door & see if there are geese in my yard, which is now a thing since there's less traffic & they can reach my yard.

I clip my wireless feed hold button onto my shirt, like Life Alert. Even when i'm in the room with the machine, I can hit it quicker than I can pause in CONTROL.

& you just reminded me that I need a fire extinguisher...