Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Couple of questions regarding NEMA 23 high torque motors

Discussion in 'Motors' started by markus506, Apr 14, 2023.

1. markus506

markus506 New
    Builder

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding the Openbuilds NEMA 23 high torque motors:

• What is the maximum RPM these motors can sustain?
    • Is there any way to reduce microstepping from 1/8? I am using a Blackbox X32, so I assume not, but I thought I would ask the question. I am looking for some more torque, and I just want to verify before I go the gearbox route.
    Thanks!

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I am curious what you are trying to move. I just rebuilt my old CNC Router and my Y gantry weighed 37 pounds before I added the router. It is also utilizing linear rails which added a lot more "drag" than the V wheels I previously used. I too was worried about the torque and considered more powerful motors. I went with the OpenBuilds High torque I already had and I have no issue running it with quick acceleration and at about 5000mm/min for jogging. I have gne up to 7500mm/min, but when I got the acceleration up to where I wanted it for all the short 3D carve moves, I had stalling over 600mm/min. I set my max to 5500 in the grbl settings just to be conservative. For cutting, I recently did a project where I plunged 13 mm into hardwood and did a spiral pocket cut with an 8mm endmill at about 3000mm/min with a 45% stepover. The steppers handled it with no issue. That being said, I am using 1/2 -10 five start lead screws (12.7mm travel per rotation) so I am loosing a little torque vs the 8mm 4 start (8mm per rotation). I am using a 36 V power supply.

#2 Giarc, Apr 14, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  3. markus506

markus506 New
    Builder

Hi Giarc,

we have built a custom 4m x 4m gantry to move a camera. We are using timing belts. Once we loaded the energy chain we are using with cables, we are having issues with sustained movement on the y axis (y and y2) motors. Thus, the assumption we are low on torque.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Oh. I guess you would loose torque with the belts and pulleys. I do not know the max rpm and I expect it would depend on the voltage of the power supply. You could ask the customer support here:
    Submit a ticket