Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Couple of change request

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by BeeAMaker, Mar 13, 2021.

1. BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker Well-Known
    Builder

.. on the Interface. Sorry if these were mentioned already, didn't look real hard.

1. Can we eliminate the "gco" extension on the USB file names? that would give us 3 more characters for showing the file name. Also, Can it show at least the last 2 characters in lone file names, that way numbered files show? For example, "FileName_01.gcode" and "FileName_02.gcode" becomes "FileN~01" and "FileN~02"
    (don't remember the exact character count) It's hard to pick the right file when they look like this:
    FileN~0gco
    FileN~0gco
    In some cases I've had to put the number at the beginning of the file name.

2. Can the "Goto 0" be changed to Lift up to maybe 50mm, then move to X0,Y0 before dropping to Z0? I've had a couple near collisions from it dropping to +4 first then moving to X0,Y0. Just makes more sense to clear everything before moving X Y.

3. (wishful thinking here) Probably no way to get a artificial "preview" of the file before hitting GO. Maybe just basic outline of the shape.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Usb chip only gives 8.3 format. Hiding the extension doesnt give you remainder :)
    See 8.3 filename

50mm z will crash on some machines. Can't keep everyone happy. Jog near, then test final xyz zero using button.
    Its more for confirming zero, than moving from far away

Sorry no. Check your work in cam, simulation, etc before copying to usb :)

3. BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker Well-Known
    Builder

Bummer. I'll restructure my naming convention.

I see what your saying but it's so handy though ;)

It would just be a further confirmation I selected the correct file, but I'll change how I name my files.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

50mm may crash but 5mm may not. My 3d printer always goes up 5mm before homing X & Y.