Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Corner Probe G-Code Help (using OB BB with OB Control)

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by KaosCNC, Sep 25, 2019.

1. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

I am new to CNC hobby and I bought a plate off of Amazon but then it didn’t have any source details for setting up the necessary G-Code to use the plate.

This is the probe - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TBRFQWQ

The probe block is 60mm x 60mm x 25mm with a 7mm offset for X and Y. The Z is 22mm

I am using the OB BlackBox and OB Control and I understand in OB Control for Corner Probe I have to do a macro.

However, I am not sure how I get the correct G-Code to drive the probing.

I have mostly seen videos where the Z is probed first and then it moves off to the X and Y.

I have also seen some where the X and the Y and then the Z.

So I am confused what the correct work flow is and then how to get the correct g-code for the plate I am using and also the offsets for the plate and bit, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks - I am still not sure what the G-code is to start off with Z and where you'd position it.

This touch probe has a circle at the bottom left of the block so I'd think I would put my bit just above that and then probe Z and then afterwards probe the other axis.

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Assuming the entire plate is conductive, you can position it where you want.

In the link, there is a link to ooznest documentation. Scroll down to the bottom. There are two documents (touch-probe-offset-calculator and touch-probe-commands-guide) that explain how to calculate the values that you input into their probing code. Once you have the code done, replace the semi-colons with new lines, add a G90 to the end and add it to a macro.

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Or if you are lazy like me, try Estlcam. It it somehow magically does this stuff for me.:thumbsup: It is well worth the $59.

6. phil from seattle

phil from seattle Journeyman
    Builder

Probing is simplicity wrapped up in a confusing package. First, in GRBL there is a group of 5 G code commands that all do something very similar and you only need to use one G38.1 through G38.5. These codes move an axis to make contact (or lose contact) with your probe block. Secondly, you then set the axis location to whatever you want based on how tall/wide/thick your probe block is.

So, I only do Z but X and Y are very similar. I use a piece of PCB material that is 1.42mm thick (measured with a digital caliper, if you don't have, get). It has a wire soldered to it that forms one half of the probe circuit. The other half is an alligator clip on a wire that I attach to router bit. Both wires connect to probe pins on my GRBL header board (or BB for you). Here are my steps:
    1) alligator clip to bit, pcb plate below bit. Position the bit to be a couple of mm above the plate.
    2) use G38.2 Z-5 F100 (move down slowly, stop at -5 if no contact)
    3) the probe will stop when it gets to the pcb plate (make electrical contact)
    4) use G92 Z1.42 to set the Z axis to the actual distance from the bit tip to the surface.

Now, the corner block you have can do X, Y and Z. You need to measure each of those distances and use them in the G92 command. Remember to add the radius of the bit for X and Y probing.

I have macros that initiate the probe and set the Z distance after the probe. You can make it one macro but I prefer to have two (I have other sized probes.)

By the way, write your sizes on your probe block.

#6 phil from seattle, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019