Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Cordless DC Router?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Sam Krohlow, Oct 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sam Krohlow

Builder

Has anyone used a cordless router and hooked it up to their DC power source? I'm looking to do this with an 18v cordless trim router, but I'm not sure of the amp draw on my power source. I don't have the motor curve for the router, but trying to get my hands on it.

Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Sam

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Much cheaper to go with ac isn't it? not really seeing an advantage, unless you already have it.
    Cheers
    Gary

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Sam Krohlow

Builder

Exactly that. I work for a power tools company and just got a free one before it releases. I was previously going to use a 1-3/4" AC router that I got from work, but this new one is much smaller and lighter.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Lithium tool? Lithiums have great energy density and many C of immediate capacity. Dc PSU will probably have trouble with the startup current surge. Only way to know is to try

Alex Chambers likes this.
  5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

But don't run it from the same PSU you use for your control electronics - as @Peter Van Der Walt said the inrush current when you start it could be high and cause a temporary voltage drop.
    Alex.

6. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

With soft-start and speed control electronics I would be surprised if there is much inrush start current, but with the price of a 500+ watt psu that you will need you will be half way toward a $90 mikita rt0701 router.
    Cheers
    Gary

7. Sam Krohlow

Builder

I would like to get the motor curve so I know how many amps it will draw at higher torque, but the engineer from the project told me it ranges from 20A to 30A in real hard conditions. I don't think my 20A power source will be enough. Already running 4x Nema 23, so at least 12A on the system. I think I either need a separate power source, or I can try just running it off a 12.0Ah batteriy and just make sure it has enough battery life to complete a job. Battery will offer the best performance I would think, just need to make sure I have the life.