Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Coolant Port not working with IoT Relay?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Josh Lambeth, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Josh Lambeth

Builder

Hey guys,
    I have a new machine and using the BlackBox to control it. Purchased a new BlackBox from the OpenBuilds store but having an issue with the M8/M9 commands.

On my old setup I just plugged it into the Cool port and typed m8 and it worked (it's going to the IoT power strip thing). I didnt have to change any jumpers or anything like that. It just worked.

However now it doesn't work at all. I have tried the Cool port, the Relay port, changed the jumper from m3/m5 to m8/m9 and still nothing.Someone on Facebook suggested removing the jumper entirely and then checking the voltage output of the Cool port so I did that and it reads 0v with both the M8 and M9 commands.

Any ideas?

Thanks 1.jpg 2.jpg

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Project Maker Builder Resident Builder

That jumper configures which signal triggers the onboard relay (blue one) - and yes, if you have an external relay on the coolant port, removing the jumper is good (else the blue relay clicks unnecessarily)

Depends on how you measure! Black probe on a GND pin,red probe on the correct pin on that header (the one coming from the MCU = middle pin, on the right of that grouping of 6 pins. ) - so I'd think you were getting 0v because of doing the actual measurement wrong more likely.
    Picture below of the correct pin to probe M8 should take it high / +-5v, M9 should take it low (0-0.8v) (remember black probe on a GND! Not on that header
    pin to check.PNG

Still should, read the documentation to understand the relays, they play no part in the direct coolant header: OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation and relates more to setting up for use with Plasmas: OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation which is the more intended use case for the onboard relay

Coolant connector wiring looks correct (the bare insulation on your 0-10v wire, though not related, could use some fixing before it shorts to something)

The Coolant output outputs 24v so:
    - Is your PSU on
    - Is the switch on the BlackBox on
    - Is motors working and fan spinning (shows that the board has 24v)
    If not, the coolant output will not have any power to output

Grbl in unlocked / not-alarmed / not-errored state? Else it may ignore the command

3. Josh Lambeth

Builder

Thanks for the info.

I measured the power off the coolant header and it did have power from the powersupply and all switches were on (I can jog the machine around using the control software). There are no error/triggers/ect.

Should I be able to hear the blue relay click when triggering it if the jumper is on the M3/M5 or the M8/M9? If so, it's not clicking.

I'll try taking some voltage readings from the way you told me to and see what it shows.

Josh

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes, with the jumper on the relevant pins, issuing the commands should make it click.
    note M3 wont, its M3S1000 (with default settings) when its the M3/M5 mode jumper
    M8/M9 should work without extra gcode words.

5. Josh Lambeth

Builder

Here is a quick video for you:

Also I probed the M8 pin you told me about and it's reading 0 under both M8 and M9 commands. Attached is a picture of the ground I used. Let me know if you suggest a different one. (Jumper wasn't installed when I checked).

grnd.jpg

I also noticed that the Coolant Light on the top doesn't turn on at all but the Tooling light does when an M3 Sxxxx command is used.

Josh

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Try M7?

7. Josh Lambeth

Builder

M7 gave an unsupported g-code command error.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

M7 test was just to check that Grbl isnt somehow looking for the Mist command (compile time option)
    Tested with one on desk here, and jumper on M8/M9, sending m8/m9 makes my relay click, so that is odd.

Just one last check
    If you take the brains off the Muscle, and then probe that pin (PS on the header that stacks the two boards, 5th from the left is a pin labelled MOSFET - thats the same signal) with just the brains in hand, on USB, nothing else connected:
    1) Coolant LED still not reacting?
    2) Still no 5v on MOSFET labelled pin / pin on jumper header? (Your choice of GND pin is good)

This is just to test is something wrong on muscle shorting out that pin, or something wrong on brains and that signal isnt getting out of the atmega

9. Josh Lambeth

Builder

I'm on a trip now but will check into this when I get back on Saturday.

Josh

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  10. Josh Lambeth

Builder

Just ran this test and one time I got 1.3v out of the Mosfet pin when M9 was entered and under M8 command it was showing .7v. That happened once then it is now just reading 0 no matter what. The coolant light also never came on.

I am going to test one more computer just to see if that has anything to do with it. Will report back in a few.

Josh

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Was that last test with just the Brains board (as requested above, we'd like to identify if you need a brains or a muscle or both :) )

12. Josh Lambeth

Builder

Yes. Took brains off and was sitting on my bench with just USB plugged in for powe .

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Cool, so please reach out to [email protected] and request a RMA for a new BRAINS board :)

Reference this thread please